Racked is no longer publishing. Thank you to everyone who read our work over the years. The archives will remain available here; for new stories, head over to Vox.com, where our staff is covering consumer culture for The Goods by Vox. You can also see what we’re up to by signing up here.
- She's All That: Does anyone actually remember Laney Boggs getting a makeover? Or do we all just remember her falling down the stairs in that red dress to that Sixpence None the Richer song?
- Never Been Kissed: Actually, there are three transformations in this movie. In Never Been Kissed Drew Barrymore went from Josie Grossie to Josie the Reporter to Josie the Very-Obviously Overaged Highschooler. We've put the two most painful
- Clueless: As if Brittany Murphy doesn't look awesome in her '90s-school girl sweaters. Definitely an upgrade to those farmer clothes.
- The Devil Wears Prada: Technically, this makeover only really involved giving Anne Hathaway bangs and adding on a lot of blatantly designer accessories. But in the world of faux-Vogue, it was definitely an upgrade.
- Jawbreak: This one wins for weirdest makeover scene: a dream-like sequence that included coffins, a bizarre-o beauty salon, and strange narration from Rose McGown.
- Mean Girls: Lindsay Lohan's transformation into a Plastic was finally complete once she donned a slutty house party dress with a visible push-up bra.
- The Breakfast Club: Ally Sheedy's end-of-movie goth to prep transformation courtesy of Molly Ringwald was definitely...something. We might prefer the before on this one.
- Pretty Woman: Is it just us, or does Julia Roberts look particularly-on trend with that crop top and bob, pre-makeover?
- Miss Congeniality: You can take the girl out of the F.B.I., but you can't take the F.B.I. out of the girl, even when you put her in a pageant gown.
- Grease: The ultimate makeover scene, Sandy's transformation didn't even happen until the very last song and dance of the movie. But, it was worth the wait, and worth the revenue in the millions of Halloween costumes it would spawn.
- Sabrina: Leave it to Audrey Hepburn to look just about the same (see: beautiful) both pre and post her Parisian makeover.
Some movies just wouldn't be complete without their movie makeover scenes. Imagine Clueless without Tai wipping her newly dyed hair in Dion's face, or She's All That without Laney Boggs falling down the stairs in her that red dress. We've rounded up 11 of the best before and after shots from movie makeovers in the gallery above: Pretty Woman, Never Been Kissed, and Mean Girls all very much included.