Racked is no longer publishing. Thank you to everyone who read our work over the years. The archives will remain available here; for new stories, head over to Vox.com, where our staff is covering consumer culture for The Goods by Vox. You can also see what we’re up to by signing up here.
Ah, April Fool's Day. You would think that by now we'd be savvy and jaded enough to smell a prank from a mile away, but this year, like every year, there were a few pranks that had us furrowing our eyebrows and scratching our heads for a few seconds before we realized we'd been had. Below, the five best April Fool's jokes of 2012—all of them fashion related, of course.
5. Lucky magazine's straight-faced Sunday Report: "Kate Middleton to Endorse McQueen; Tom Ford for H&M Confirmed" got a click from us—followed by an audible groan when we realized we'd been total suckers.
4. The award for cutest trick of the day goes to Glamour magazine, who tweeted about these adorable Karl Lagerfeld Peeps, that totally don't exist, but probably should.
3. Mashable reported yesterday on Warby Parker's new canine-friendly line "Warby Barker," which offers designer specs for your dog. Bonus points to them for their total commitment to the joke: check out the video they produced for the new line of puppy specs.
2. Diesel founder Renzo Rosso celebrated April Fool’s Day by putting his entire denim brand up for sale on eBay yesterday morning. And apparently we weren't the only ones who took the bait: WWD reports that fans of the brand immediately replied, offering to buy the company to save it from the clutches of potential Chinese investors.
1. And our favorite prank of the day is brought to you by the good folks at Bonobos and Rent the Runway, who joined forces to create a dating site for the "fashionably lonely," complete with testimonials from happy, fashion-conscious couples and a quiz to help you determine your matches. Well played, RTR, well played.
· All April Fool's Day coverage [Racked]