Racked is no longer publishing. Thank you to everyone who read our work over the years. The archives will remain available here; for new stories, head over to Vox.com, where our staff is covering consumer culture for The Goods by Vox. You can also see what we’re up to by signing up here.
Not to stress you out, but a couple's first dance is the most pointedly symbolic moment of a wedding. All eyes are upon them while they attempt to look both romantic and not too awkward slow dancing for what is very likely the first time in their lives, aside from whatever pre-wedding practicing they did. Anyway, this kind of high stakes swaying is why we're so excited that the gals over at BrideFinds turned up 50 celebrity first dance songs. The overwhelming favorite is "At Last" by Etta James, which surprises no one, but then there's the head scratchers, like when Sir Paul McCartney and Nancy Shevell's chose a song by Sir Paul McCartney or Kim Kardashian and Kris Humphries chose "Let's Stay Together" by Al Green. Hindsight is 20/20, etc. Also, according to this list, never pick a Journey song. Trust us, it will end badly. See our ten of our favorites in no particular order after the jump and head to BrideFinds for the other 40.
1. Drew Barrymore & Will Kopelman: “No One’s Gonna Love You” by Band Of Horses
2. Mark Zuckerberg & Priscilla Chan: “Last Night on Earth” by Green Day
3. Gene Simmons & Shannon Tweed: “At Last” by Etta James
4. Paul McCartney & Nancy Shevell: “My Valentine” by Paul McCartney
5. David Beckham & Victoria Adams: “It Had To Be You” by The Starlight Orchestra
6. Beyonce & Jay-Z: “Crazy in Love” by Beyonce (As BrideFinds points out, it was the couple’s first collaboration together which deserves so many "aw" points)
7. Michael Buble & Luisana Lopilato: “Everybody Loves Somebody” by Dean Martin
8. Kate Middleton & Prince William: “Your Song” by Elton John (performed by Ellie Goulding)
9. Ellen DeGeneres & Portia de Rossi: “Ribbon in the Sky” by Stevie Wonder
10. President Barack Obama & First Lady Michelle Obama (nee: Robinson): ”You and I” by Stevie Wonder
· 50 Celebrity First Dance Songs: The Most Common, Cursed & Surprising Music Picks [BrideFinds]
· Getting Married? Here Are the 10 Best Wedding Apps Out There [Racked]
· All Weddings Week 2012 Coverage [Racked]