Racked is no longer publishing. Thank you to everyone who read our work over the years. The archives will remain available here; for new stories, head over to Vox.com, where our staff is covering consumer culture for The Goods by Vox. You can also see what we’re up to by signing up here.
Have you heard? There's a Kate Middleton scandal afoot! Well, not a scandal so much as a peccadillo, or, more daintily put, a royal whoopsie-daisy. According to the Telegraph, the DoC now has to curtsey in the presence of "blood princesses"—Princess Royal Princess Alexandra, and the daughters of the Duke of York, Princesses Beatrice and Eugenie—when William isn't around. Ouch.
Now, the actual scandal part was more of the royal family's bad in this case, since the document that decides who has to courtesy to whom and when, the Order of Precedence, is a private document edited by the Queen and only circulated among the Royal Household, and was leaked from there. But it inspired us to do a little digging into other KMid scandals since becoming a princess. Here's what we found.
4. When Yahoo put together an estimated list of the DoC's beauty regimen costs, the internet resounded its shock and dismay for like 12 hours. It might take a yearly budget of $37,728 to look like a princess, but, then again, she is a princess.
3. Speaking of the high cost of looking good, Marie Claire UK has just released an estimation of her yearly wardrobe budget and pegs it at $57,000. So who foots the bill? Apparently, Prince Charles has agreed to pay for her "work-related" wardrobe, including outfits for official engagements or Royal Family outings. If that number sounds steep, remember that all the modeling she does for British designers and retailers free of charge will keep the British fashion economy chugging along for decades to come.
Image via Getty
2. Last month, KMid flashed a bit of leg (see: knee) in a Roland Mouret original. But as Mouret tells the Telegraph, this long-sleeved number was no Angelina Jolie thigh-high shocker: "That picture of a woman when you catch a little of the leg, that's what you want to see. It's that notion of privacy. It's something that should be for her husband and she just show a glimpse of it and I think that is one of the more amazing moments of life. You feel happy when you see that. It was not too much. It was with a lot of respect. Yes, I think I did? quite well."
1. The duchess's (totally buttoned-up and appropriate) yellow dress gave way to her own Marilyn moment while touring in Canada last year, except this one was definitely not staged. It led to hundreds of closeups of her nearly exposed bum, and plenty of speculative tweets about the kind of underwear the princess wears (or doesn't).
And that's as close we could get to a KMid scandal. Thank God for Pippa.
Image via Getty
· Kate Middleton Would Manage To Look Perfect While Camping [Racked]
· All Kate Middleton Coverage [Racked]