Racked is no longer publishing. Thank you to everyone who read our work over the years. The archives will remain available here; for new stories, head over to Vox.com, where our staff is covering consumer culture for The Goods by Vox. You can also see what we’re up to by signing up here.
- Emma Stone
- Menswear influenced short/vest combo: Leighton Meester
- Girly: Ellie Kemper
- Menswear influenced trouser pantsuit: Elizabeth Banks
- Girly: Crystal Reed
- ZZ Ward in full-on menswear
- Girly-Menswear Hybrid: Brie Larson
- Jeff Dye
- Johnny Depp, Raidor of the Lost Guitar Solo
- Bunny-footed onesies: Dan Auerbach and Patrick Carney
- Lego style by Lil Niqo and King Tut
- Kirsten Stewart and superhero chic
The MTV Movie Awards are the prime Hollywood event for laid-back sartorial choices, so it follows that hems were short and dudes were silly. But that doesn't mean there wasn't plenty of noteworthy looks during the whole affair. Below, find five things we learned from the night in pictures:
5. Emma Stone is back to being a blond and she looks as regal as always.
4. Given the opportunity, men will dress like boys, and boys will dress silly. See: Comedian and MTV host Jeff Dye's football pads, fellow Black Keys Dan Auerbach and Patrick Carney's bunny-slippered onesies, and actual 10-year-old boy Lil Niqo's King Tut Lego necklace.
3. Given the opportunity, girls who aren't dressed ultra-feminine will dress like boys, too. Brie Larson, Crystal Reed, and Ellie Kemper repped the ladylike frocks, while Elizabeth Banks, Leighton Meester, and ZZ Ward donned menswear-influenced digs.
2. Johnny Depp does a solid Indiana-Jones-turned-rockstar impression. A vest and some archeologist-appropriate accessories accompanied his shredding with the The Black Keys on stage.
1. Kristen Stewart may in fact be a super hero: The Huntsman star stepped out in a short Guishem dress looking ready to rescue and possibly capable of flight.