Racked is no longer publishing. Thank you to everyone who read our work over the years. The archives will remain available here; for new stories, head over to Vox.com, where our staff is covering consumer culture for The Goods by Vox. You can also see what we’re up to by signing up here.
Vanity Fair's annual 2012 International Best-Dressed List landed on the internet today, making Tuesday that much more fun. As far as listicles go, this is always a good one, because, being Vanity Fair, their picks tend to skew ridiculously glamorous in a highly entertaining way.
But while this year includes the requisite starlets and royals, there are also a number of surprises: notably photographer Bill Cunningham and 60 Minutes correspondent Morely Safer, who are both in the top 10. "For those wishing to emulate the international cream of 2012’s fashionable crop, two unexpected words: vintage and grandparents!" heralds the mag. We're not sure it makes the list more democratic, per se, but it does make it more eccentric, so job well done, VF.
Click through to see the top 20, and head to Vanity Fair's website to flip through the list in it's entirety.
1. Kate Middleton, Duchess of Cambridge. Here's her (unauthorized) VF cover, which she shares with Jessica Chastain (see below). Also, fun fact: VF list's her occupation as "Wife of the Duke of Cambridge, future King of England."
2. Jessica Chastain, actress.
3. Bill Cunningham, photographer
4. Lea Seydoux, actress and model
5. Jay-Z, Husband of Beyonce. JK. Rapper, songwriter, entrepreneur.
6. Colin Firth, actor, and Livia Firth, film producer and creative director of Eco Age; founder of the Green Carpet Challenge.
7. Tom Brady, quarterback for the New England Patriots
8. Alicia Keys, musician
9. Fan Bingbing, actress
10. Morley Safer, 60 Minutes correspondent
11. Michelle Harper, brand consultant
12. Richard E Grant, actor, screenwriter, and director
13. Princess Alexandra of Greece, child-life specialist
14. Carlos Souza, worldwide brand ambassador for Valentino
15. Farida Khelfa, actress, director, and the new face of Schiaparelli
16. Eddie Redmayne, actor
17. Stacey Bendet, CEO and creative director, Alice & Olivia by Stacey Bendet
18. Ike Ude (left), artist
19. Diane Kruger, actress
20. Matteo Marzotto, president of Vionnet S.P.A.
· The 2012 International Best-Dressed List [Vanity Fair]
· The 20 Worst-Dressed Cities in America, According to T+L [Racked]