Racked is no longer publishing. Thank you to everyone who read our work over the years. The archives will remain available here; for new stories, head over to Vox.com, where our staff is covering consumer culture for The Goods by Vox. You can also see what we’re up to by signing up here.
In terms of exciting things found in September magazines, the who-what-where of fall campaign ads is a close second to the cover-girl battle royale. It's more than just a bunch of pretty faces in pretty clothes. It's big names and bigger talent, unexpected twists (Lanvin taps normal people?), and occasionally whimsically creepy wild things (see: above). While most of the ads have already leaked, the New York Times' On the Runway blog has put together a list of this season's campaign highlights. Find our top ten moments after the jump.
10. Bulgari tapped the peerless Annie Leibovitz. Isabella Rossellini is there too.
9. Lana Del Ray makes angora sweaters look just as they should look for H&M: plucked directly from a '60s yearbook.
8. When Carine Roitfeld isn't styling funeral processions, she's styling Mila Kunis for Miss Dior.
7. Brian Atwood does it up big for the brand's very first campaign with Victoria Secret model Candice Swanepoel.
6. Two for the price of one: Kate Moss and Karmen Pedaru are the faces of the Salvatore Ferragamo this fall.
5. Look! Terry Richardson can do tastefully sexy when Jimmy Choo is involved.
4. Lara Stone does sultry (duh) for Calvin Klein again.
3. We'd like to submit Louis Vuitton because that train is still the awesome.
2. The camera click heard round the internet: Old people? In Lanvin ads? Cue shock and awe.
1. And finally, Marc New York fall campaign takes its inspiration from Fifty Shades of Grey. Because someone had to.
See all the falls ads over on our Campaign Trail Pinterest board. Because it's a more bicep-friendly option than lugging around September Vogue.
· Campaign Trail: Fall 2012 [Racked/Pinterest]
· All Campaign Trail Coverage [Racked]
· The September Issues [On the Runway]