Racked is no longer publishing. Thank you to everyone who read our work over the years. The archives will remain available here; for new stories, head over to Vox.com, where our staff is covering consumer culture for The Goods by Vox. You can also see what we’re up to by signing up here.
Makeup artist Gina Brooke has done editorials in basically every magazine ever and is a former artistic director at Shu Uemura. But the thing she's most famous for is her decade-long partnership with Madonna. Brooke has gone on tour with the Material Girl and created looks for her tours, videos, and even nights out on the town. (So, you know, she's been busy for the last 10 years or so.)
Her relationship with Madonna recently led to a special Make Up for Ever red lipstick created just for the star to wear on stage. But Brooke insists that the super-pigmented red works on everyone, not just superfamous people. She clued us in on her five essential MUFE products that work on celebrities and norms alike.
1. Aqua Rouge Lip Color #8, $24: That would be the Madonna lipstick, of course. It's doubleheaded, with a matte lipstick on one side and a gloss on the other, so you can wear it however you want. Seriously, you can see this red from space.
2. Uplight Face Luminizer Gel, $29: This looks equally great alone or layered under makeup. If it can survive harsh stage lighting, it can survive anything.
3. Aqua Shadow Pencil in OE (Matte Black), $20: The ultimate black pencil. Hello easy, dramatic cat-eye. Aqua is MUFE code for "Waterproof," so this stuff is built to stay.
4. Aqua Cream Eye Shadow #27, $23: More black! You cannot mess up a smoky eye when using this. The blackest-black shade is a new addition to the lineup.
5. Aqua Cream Blush 05, (not available online): This sweet shade of pink works on just about every skin tone. And you don't need brushes—just swipe on with your finger and blend.
· Madonna's Make Up for Ever Will Soon Be Available to the Common Folk [Racked]
· Gina Brooke [Official Site]
· Make Up for Ever [Official Site]