Racked is no longer publishing. Thank you to everyone who read our work over the years. The archives will remain available here; for new stories, head over to Vox.com, where our staff is covering consumer culture for The Goods by Vox. You can also see what we’re up to by signing up here.
Good news for Bergdorf Goodman: They're possibly the most tech-savvy 111-year-old in the world.
Though the luxury department store has only one brick-and-mortar location, Bergdorf is everywhere in the digital space: YouTube (since way back in 2007), Facebook, Twitter, Instagram, Foursquare, Tumblr, Pinterest, Google+, and Polyvore round out the usual suspects, but they also be found on the social media paths less taken, including Weibo, Spotify, Pose, Lyst, Hunch, and Tudou, to name a few.
Plus, of course, their blog, 5th/58th (maybe you've heard of it).
This fall, they're turning their social media arsenal on the store's impending 111th anniversary.
All these platforms plus the physical store (can't forget about that) will work in concert to create a virtual blitzkrieg to honor the retailer's birthday. We've put the plan of attack in bullet form after the jump because, otherwise, no one with internet access is getting out of here alive.
· First, they're revamping the 5th/58th blog. That means more social buttons, which will connect readers to guest contributors and featured designers, and make sharing happen more easily and on more platforms.
· The blog is also crowd-sourcing content now. Users can submit their own Bergdorf memories, which will live appropriately in the "BG Stories" feature, here.
· Beginning at the end of the month, the website's homepage will be dedicated to the to-be-announced anniversary goings-on.
· Don't forget about Facebook! The brand is hosting a one-week preview of limited-edition items created for the anniversary on their Facebook page "exclusively" for fans like this J. & L. Lobmeyr table lamp.
· More Facebook fun: The store's archival gallery of historic photos, which currently resides outside the restaurant on the seventh floor, is getting its very own Facebook album.
· BG Magazine will feature illustrations by major designers—Marchesa, Dolce & Gabbana, and Akris, among others—that capture the special-edition products created exclusively for the event.
· And there's a video, too, of course. Details are being carefully guarded at the moment, but the words "behind-the-scenes" are being tossed around. Expect to see it on YouTube, Facebook, bergdorfgoodman.com, and 5th/58th.
So, in sum: Get your party hats on, everyone.