Racked is no longer publishing. Thank you to everyone who read our work over the years. The archives will remain available here; for new stories, head over to Vox.com, where our staff is covering consumer culture for The Goods by Vox. You can also see what we’re up to by signing up here.
Lanvin's F/W 2012 campaign video, anticipated by the "regular folks" print campaign released last month, carries on with the normal people, extraordinary clothes idea—but better. The anti-model models range from age 18 to 81, articulate to less so, and personable to shy, making them so varied in look and personality that there is no one unifying characteristic—except, maybe, that they are fabulous in Lanvin.
It's refreshing to see these fashion stars knocked off the dreamy street-style pedestal. It's exactly the attitude towards fashion with the wink and smile that the world has come to adore Alber Elbaz for. After the jump, find our top five favorite quotes in descending order of awesome and watch the video.
5. A chic-ly peplumed 18 year old girl describing a band: "douche-y, gross, masculine in a bad way" before dismissing them completely with an emphatic "just, like, uh."
4. A shy boy-man in kicks and a loosely hanging suit divulges: "I eat a lot of frozen blueberries. It's really weird. But tastes good."
3. The older gentleman on a stool who's probably French: "ehhh ga ehhh mmmemeawh ehh...James Bond?"
2. "Phonemisplacia." (Just watch the video)
1. Alber brings home the point of the whole advertisement by telling Jacquie "Tajah" Murdock, the oldest model in the campaign: "Paris is coming to you. Muah."