Racked is no longer publishing. Thank you to everyone who read our work over the years. The archives will remain available here; for new stories, head over to Vox.com, where our staff is covering consumer culture for The Goods by Vox. You can also see what we’re up to by signing up here.
While we here at Racked are cheerfully celebrating Whale Week, the rest of the fashion world is gearing up for New York Fashion Week, which officially commences next Wednesday. As happens every season, the
circus event will undergo a handful of changes during the upcoming Fall 2013 shows—a few welcome additions, bitter-sweet subtractions, and one or two surprises. Here, a look at five things you can expect to see this NYFW.
5 things you can look forward to:
1. Kenneth Cole has been on Fashion Week hiatus since 2006, but he's back this season with a men's and women's show planned for next Thursday night. And just to prove he gets how it all works here in the year 2013, he's doing the requisite blogger partnership thing with Bryan Boy and Tina Craig of Bag Snob.
Lil Kim in the front row of Mara Hoffman's Fall 2013 show, via Getty
2. Lil' Kim will be there! It was the sincere regret of this Racked editor that we missed her last year, but she made an appearance in the front row of boho designer Mara Hoffman's show, of all places. This year, she will be a more active participant as a guest model in an AIDS benefit show.
What would NYFW be without this? Photo via Getty
3. First she wasn't, then she was, and so far it looks like Betsey Johnson is, in fact, going to do a show. Cartwheels all around!
Meta. Via Getty.
4. The only thing fashion folks love more than getting their photo taken is taking photos of other people. so now that Twitter's newly minted video app Vine has arrived, you can expect a flood of six-second looping videos (model falls, street style celebs, etc) clogging up your streams next week. Brace yourselves.
Peter Som, via Getty
5. KCD's Digital Fashion Shows site will be open to the
proletariat public for the first time this season. That means the entire fashion-loving world can enjoy presentations by heavyweights like Peter Som (who cancelled his live runway show), Alexandre Plokhov, and Balmain in live time this season. Bonus: no one will judge you if you watch in your sweatpants.
· Chanel's Linlithgow Show: Instagram Fail? [Racked]
· 50 Fashion Editors to Follow on Instagram [Racked]