Racked is no longer publishing. Thank you to everyone who read our work over the years. The archives will remain available here; for new stories, head over to Vox.com, where our staff is covering consumer culture for The Goods by Vox. You can also see what we’re up to by signing up here.
The 2013 Racked Awards, our celebration of the most exciting designers, the most mind-boggling fashion debacles and the best collaborations, is a mere week away. The party will go down in New York city on October 10 and the winners will be celebrated with drinks and iconic Racked Golden Turbans.
Racked National readers have already voted on a few important awards, including designer of the year (where Alexander Wang beat out Hedi Slimane by a narrow margin), online store of the year (winner: Farfetch) and importantly, Instagrammer of the year (consensus was @marahoffman, though @wearehandsome and @lapantin also had strong showings).
After the jump, view the rest of our nominees. The winners of these editor-decided awards will be announced next week.
1. "It" Item of the Year: Contenders are the Céline gold ID necklace choker, the Chanel espadrille, the 3.1 Phillip Lim Pashli, the Valentino Rockstud heel, the flat-brim snap-back hat, the Kenzo sweatshirt and fashion pun tees.
2. Fashion Icon of the Year: Contenders are J.Crew's Jenna Lyons, naked pop star Miley Cyrus, royal nude-pump icon Kate Middleton, what-does-she-do-again Nicole Richie, and Russian street style star Miroslava Duma.
3. Hair of the Year: Contenders are the short blonde stuff atop Miley Cyrus' head, those Michelle Obama bangs, whatever Beyonce's is up to right now, whatever Rihanna's is up to right now and Kate Middleton's glorious chestnut waves.
4. Baby of the Year: Which baby will reign supreme? The contenders are TV reality show star-in-training baby North West, royal baby George Alexander Louis, model baby Vivian Bundchen Brady, blonde baby Ace Knute Simpson Johnson and brand-new Italian fashion house baby Otto Missoni.
5. Fashion "Fail" or Misplay of the Year: And the contenders are that floral mistake a pregnant Kim Kardashian donned for the Met Gala, Celeb Boutique's foot-in-mouth Aurora Tweet, Lena Dunham heel gate, that pesky JCPenney Hitler teapot and Taco Bell's bizarre jewelrybomb.