Racked is no longer publishing. Thank you to everyone who read our work over the years. The archives will remain available here; for new stories, head over to Vox.com, where our staff is covering consumer culture for The Goods by Vox. You can also see what we’re up to by signing up here.
Fall means many things. First and most obvious is pumpkin-spiced lattes. Second is boots, third is time-to-get-your-life-in-order-you-incorrigible-slob and fourth is a new bag.
Whether you're shopping for going-out clutches or a roomy weekender, now's an exciting time to be on the hunt for an accessory. The craftsmanship-focused trend and made-in-America movement has brought a massive wave of ever simpler and richer leathers to market, and as a by-product the faux-leather vegan options are getting better, too.
Also, designers are getting crafty. Satchels that turn into backpacks that turn into clutches that turn into trap doors to Narnia are everywhere, should you be the noncommittal type. And for every psychedelic print and metallic superstar there's a clean, neutral version. Below, we've chosen seven to ten pieces in six key categories: clutch, cross-body, satchel, tote, weekender and backpack—each in a range of prices and styles. Get to hauling after the jump.
- Sleek, shiny and perfect for cocktail attire. Warehouse lucite clutch, $50.
- An oversize envelope is so fun and unexepected in sequined plaid. ASOS
- The touch of (faux) fur makes this one feel luxe. French Connection faux-fur clutch, $68.
- Bohemien, but in a dressed-up way. Antik Batik pouch, $70.
- The leather version of a brown paper bag, it's the epitomie of understated chic. Marie Turnor The Snak small leather bag, $117.
- Clare Vivier's foldover classic in statement-making black-and-white. Clare Vivier foldover clutch, $210.
- The unusal texture and graphic contrast of this Loeffler Randall bag would look great with something simple, like jeans and a tee. Loeffler Randall Lock clutch in bla
- We love everything about this Liebeskind bag, from the cool pattern to the little gold lettering. A Liebeskind Jill Green new snake bag, $248.
- A teensy style with an equally tiny price. Steven Alan small leather satchel, $60.
- Pebbled leather and a tiny arrow closure add interest to this stripped-down style. Club Monaco Mackage Novaki cros
- Like something brought back from a far-flung vacation. Beracamy Helambu cross-body bag, $308.
- The pale leather and rounded shape conjur easy '70s style. Lauren Merkin Stevie cross-body bag, $375.
- NYC's It-clutch designer expands into other categories, with equally covetable results. Reece Hudson Siren mini bag, $495.
- If ever a bag could make you look put-together, it's this one. Lizzy Disney Lock bag, $565.
- An adorable shape in an incredible shade of blue. Pour La Victorie Provence satchel, $495.
- The deep burgandy color and contrasting suede panel are perfect for fall. Madewell Sloane mini-satchel in suede, $168.
- Appears worn in, like you've already had it for years. Topshop Brogue
- A logoless, understated workhorse. Lauren Ralph Lauren Newbury double-zip satchel, $298.
- Spacious and ideal for work. DVF embossed leather 440 bag in deep cherry, crimson and black, $500.
- This multi-purpose bag can be carried by hand, slung over one shoulder or attached by straps to the front of a bicycle. Loeffler Randall Rider bag in denim indigo fab
- Gold zipper accents and studs play gorgeously off deep plum. Botkier Legacy satchel, $595.
- Clean lines, supple leather and it fits comfortably around the shoulder. Possibly the perfect tote. Sandqvist Lisbet Tote, $216 at Fine Little Day.
- Vegan, reversible and oversized. Oversized Tote, $59 at Urban Outfitters.
- Buy a deep tote and save your deep pockets. Tote, $24.95 at H&M.
- Like the other perfect tote, but longwise. Mansur Gavriel small tote, $425 at Steven Alan.
- Up the texture factor while still staying neutral. Great for the office and the weekend. Collina Strada Domino Tote, $220 at Of a Kind.
- A light classic. Hello sailor. Duck Bag, $26 at Baggu.
- For a unique twist on the basic tote, artist Juliana Hung mixes in clay beads. Jujumade Tote Bag, $470 at Beklina.
- Sweet and simple, and a shoulder strap to boot. Tote, $44.50 at ASOS.
- The strap extends from shoulder bag to cross-body in a few simple steps. Rivet Capital A Bag by Frrry, $358 at Roztayger.
- Fits a 13 inch laptop and there's a zipper at the top, plus it comes with a detachable shoulder strap. H&M, $49.95.
- Like a sweatshirt you can tote your sweatshirts in. Score! Small Zip Pack, $60 at Everlane.
- Meredith Wendell teamed up with graphic designers the Ames Bros for this back-brightener. For luxury AND for fun. Ames Bros vs. MW Backpack, $395.
- A clean minimalist dream. It's roomier than it looks, but this one will not fit a 13 inch laptop. Steven Al
- A good, clean acid-washed look. Dusen Dusen blue denim, $116 at Totokaelo.
- This one has a cellphone pocket and other amenities. Backpack, $42 at Baggu
- So spare and minimal. Postal Backpack by Kika NY, $678 at Roztayger.
- Because it's a classic, and it's just as comfortable as it was in middle school. Right Pack, $55 at Jansport.
- Fit ALL THE THINGS in there. Collina Strada Novella Bag, $370 at Need Supply Co.
- Hand-woven in Oaxaca, Mexico and assembled in Oakland, CA, for those who are concerned with that sort of thing. Black & Nude Backpack, $375 at Job & Boss.
- For celebrating your getaway with a print. Religion Canvas Weekend Bag, $106.79 a
- Brand new today on Of a Kind, this perfect weekender for girls and boys is the one. Get it before all 35 editions sell out. Henry Carrier Bag by Earnest Alexander, $345 a
- This durable new classic will get through long weekends as well as a lifetime. Worth it.
- Should you want to do the bold branding thing á la Wang. Nike Travel Bag, &95 (was $118) at Yoox.
- This tricky bag is expandable and the bottom compartment fits a pair of shoes. Also, if this trippy design doesn't strike your fancy there are tons of other patterns as well as solid shades.
- A simple but not basic take on the weekender. Canvas Weekender Bag, $39.95 at H&M.
- Camo for the drill sergeant in you. Herschel Packable Duffle, $30 at Madewell.
- Beautiful, affordable basics are par for the course at Everlane. Navy Weekender, $95 at Everlane.