Racked is no longer publishing. Thank you to everyone who read our work over the years. The archives will remain available here; for new stories, head over to Vox.com, where our staff is covering consumer culture for The Goods by Vox. You can also see what we’re up to by signing up here.
- Cara Delevingne does classic nineties grunge. Photo via.
- Uniqlo flannel check shirt, $29.90.
- Zara checked organza blouse, $59.90.
- Mango print chiffon blouse, $59.99.
- Madewell ex-boyfriend flannel shirt, $79.50.
- Elizabeth and James Plaid Button-Down Shirt, $245.
- Equipment multi Punk plaid, $268.
- L.A.M.B. plaid button down shirt, $285.
- Burberry Brit plaid silk-chiffon shirt, $494.
- IRO Keira shirt, $665.
- No. 21 plaid flannel shirt, $717.
- Miu Miu plaid silk-chiffon blouse, $1,035.
Once upon a time, plaid shirts languished at the back of closets, dusty and oversize relics from an era where it was okay to listen to sad music all the time. No longer. The closet mainstay has evolved from its role in the Nineties grunge scene to its new role in the let's-all-throw-it-back-to-the-Nineties-grunge scene, its checks sported by off-duty models and fashionable editors alike. This season, designers reinvented the plaid shirt in lightweight chiffon and silks; added details like studs, bows and contrasting prints; and changed up the item's formerly drab color palette. In the gallery, shop our top plaid picks—from classic to fashion-forward—at every price point.