Racked is no longer publishing. Thank you to everyone who read our work over the years. The archives will remain available here; for new stories, head over to Vox.com, where our staff is covering consumer culture for The Goods by Vox. You can also see what we’re up to by signing up here.
1. Decide now how much you are willing to spend: The prices for this collaboration are pretty stratospheric—in fact, we'd be willing to bet that if you scout the internet carefully, you can find actual Isabel Marant on sale at a comparable cost. In love with the beaded, embroidered jacket? Remember, it's $399. Those fringe boots are $299 and, according to an editor that previewed the collection in-person this morning, "don't look like $300 boots. They look like something you can grab at Nine West." Where the collection shines, she adds, is in the sweaters, pants and outerwear.
2. Know that pickings for the more iconic pieces are going to be slim: If you aren't one of the first 60 people in line next Thursday, well, you probably won't get that $399 jacket, or the fringe boots, or the looped cardigan. H&M's rules guard against crazy bulk buying, but they do allow shoppers that go to stores to snatch up four pieces of one item, meaning eBay resellers will probably scoop the most photographed pieces immediately.
A teaser window in NYC. Photo via Racked NY.
3. Double-check to make sure your local H&M will have the goods: Here is the full list of stores carrying the collection. There are some surprises: cities like Houston and Atlanta won't be served at all, while two Denver stores are carrying the line. Double-check by calling the stores, and while you are on the phone with sales staff, ask them if they have any tips for line waiting. Typically, they'll have worked one or more collaboration drops in the past and can attest to when people start lining up and where. Stores are slated to open at 8am; make sure that your location will keep those hours.
4. Decide if you're going to camp out all night on the sidewalk: Because that will probably be your best shot at snagging anything. Are you ready and willing? Enlist a partner or two for beverage and bathroom runs.
5. Know that if you're small, you could find luck in the kid's section: Don't forget that Marant made a whole "teen" collection as well as a men's line. Both will be less plundered than the women's.
Here's where you sign away your identity. Just kidding.
6. It will be available online: This is a first time an H&M collab has been available to purchase online in the States. According to H&M, it will go live at 12pm EST the day that it is released in stores, so need to stay up all night refreshing your browser for this one. Expect the website to crash. If you are going to roll the dice on H&M's online shop, do yourself a solid and register here. You can save your credit card info and your shipping info, making transacting in the moment much, much easier. Online shoppers may only by one item per style, so don't try loading your cart with multiples.
7. Know that if you do splurge, you only have
three seven days to return: That's per the official rules. Speaking of that return rule, it would be smart to check back at the store often in the week following the collaboration's release for returns.
· Every Single H&M in the US That Will Carry Isabel Marant [Racked]
· The Full Isabel Marant x H&M Lookbook, With Pricing [Racked]