Racked is no longer publishing. Thank you to everyone who read our work over the years. The archives will remain available here; for new stories, head over to Vox.com, where our staff is covering consumer culture for The Goods by Vox. You can also see what we’re up to by signing up here.
Something about wearing a leather bodysuit tends to bring out the fierce side of people. Or at least it does in the normally sweet-looking Beyonce, who's performance during the Pepsi half-time show at last night's Super Bowl was made up of equal parts sexy leather, hair whipping, and crotch thrusting. It was a performance so fierce that it actually managed to cause a power outage at the New Orleans Super Dome—though with facial expressions she had going on, we can't say we're totally surprised.
- Ha ha are we having fun yet? Stop smiling. This is about to get real.
- The "Jacket has been forcefully ripped off and business is a go" face.
- No sneer this amazing would be complete without a crotch thrust.
- You can practice along at home, and maybe you'll come close to this scowl. Maybe.
- This face says "Would you like to see what happens if you ever mess with Blue Ivy?" Or "I own you."
- We imagine the sound coming out of her un-miked mouth is part-Amazonian battle cry and a part-Siren death song. Because Beyoncé is mo'f'ing mythic.
- Duckface sneak attack! Maybe she's back to the beautiful, sweet, lovely Beyoncé...
- Sike. She will crush you.
- The face that gives you the best busted eardrums you ever had.
- There's a hand involved. There's a HAND inVOLVED.
- "Survivor" face.
- The goofing face, for goofing around with Beyoncé (dare to dream).
- Any questions?
- Oh that? That was nothing. Where's my baby?
Bey's bad-ass vibe was set by designer Rubin Singer's costume for the pop star, which included a cropped black leather motorcycle jacket, elbow-length leather gloves, fishnet stockings and black knee-high socks, and a leather bodysuit. According to a press release, the bodysuit was made of strips of python and iguana with insets of lace (The Cut has dubbed that memorable lace detail a "butt doily"—we hope the term sticks). The star also wore black Proenza Schouler booties (not a bad first step in the expansion plans for their shoe line).
Then Destiny's Child arrived, the "Single Ladies" dance happened, Beyonce sang "Halo" (and made at least two Racked editors tear up a little bit) before the big rock'n'roll finish where she went down on her knees and whipped her hair back and forth over the audience, '80s hair-band style, until the electricity went out in the Super Dome and the universe imploded. Amen.
Above, the 13 fiercest Beyonce facial expressions from the event. Enjoy with caution.
· Superbowl Prep: A Guide to Beyoncé's 2013 Media Blitz [Racked]
· 18 Adorable Photos of Kate Middleton Watching the Olympics, To Help You Bid Goodbye to the Games [Racked]