Racked is no longer publishing. Thank you to everyone who read our work over the years. The archives will remain available here; for new stories, head over to Vox.com, where our staff is covering consumer culture for The Goods by Vox. You can also see what we’re up to by signing up here.
Taylor Swift might sell an insane amount of records at a time when nobody sells records (seriously, music industry, what are these records you speak of?), but girl doesn't have the greatest performance history when it comes to magazine sales, reports WWD. Of the titles that Swift graced in 2012—Vogue, Glamour, Harper's Bazaar, and Cosmopolitan—she never broke third best seller, and plenty of musicians, actresses, and non-relevant reality TV stars trumped her in number of copies sold.
We're sure a lot of factors go into the making of a best seller, like whether it's the traditionally well performing September or March issue, exactly how many sex positions Cosmo promises to teach its readers on the cover, etc. But the rough numbers could keep Swift off covers in her prime, despite proving that she can rock high-fashion goods like a champ. Hop over the jump to see who bested Swift in the Battle of the Cover Stars, 2012 edition.
· Lady Gaga: September, 602,000 copies
· Adele: March, 410,343 copies
· Taylor Swift: February, 329,371 copies
· Lauren Conrad: May, 500,000 copies
· Victoria Beckham: September, 482,000 copies
· Swift: November, 443,000 copies
· Gwen Stefani: September, 166,365 copies
· Kate Moss: June, 148,434 copies
· Swift: December, 138,412 copies
· Scarlett Johansson: January, 1.5 million copies
· Ashley Greene: August, 1.4 million copies
· Swift: December, 1 million copies