Racked is no longer publishing. Thank you to everyone who read our work over the years. The archives will remain available here; for new stories, head over to Vox.com, where our staff is covering consumer culture for The Goods by Vox. You can also see what we’re up to by signing up here.
Welcome to Party Bites, a new Racked series where fancy people at glamourous parties answer our probing questions.
- "I probably shouldn't admit this. At my prom senior year, my friend Mija with a 'J' did a choreographed routine to Ricky Martin's 'She Bangs.' The climax of that was the toe touch."—Derek Blasberg, fashion man about town
"My sophomore year my date couldn't come. But then half way through he texted me and said 'come to the door.' And when I did he gave me my first kiss." —Kelly Gibson, model
"When we were going in, one of my friends got a bit too excited and
- "I promised my friend in seventh grade that I would go to prom with her. Well, she moved to California and senior prom rolled around I was like "you better buy me a ticket.'" —Debby Ryan, actress/singer
- "I went to one of my best friend Greta's prom at Exeter wearing an ill-fitting suit. But it was the best time of my life." —Jason Wu, designer
- "The little dance circle, when you open the circle up, people jump in and just go down, have a great time." —Pierre Woods, server
"Escaping from the school." —Bruce Machado, model
Just going with my best friend instead of a guy."—Erica Rosen, model
- "Not one that can go on record."—Mara Hoffman, designer
- "We had to have a post-prom lock in and they had a magician and I hate magicians. It's my favorite worst memory."—Laurel Pantin, Glamour associate accessories editor
- "The quarterback of the Malibu football team invited me to his prom when I was a freshman. I was so scared of prom that I made my mom come meet me in the [Beverly Hills Hotel] Polo Lounge for a chocolate soufflé and I ran away from my date."—Hailey
- "That was seventh grade for me and I remember wearing my 'cool' leather boots and thinking I was so cool."—Harry Brant, guest
"This is probably this first [prom] I've ever been to!"—Johnny, guest
"The fire alarm went off and everybody ran out onto the lawn."—Katie Ashley, guest
"I didn't get into prom because I was too drunk so that's a fond memory for me."—Brittany Peters, guest
"I didn't go to prom."—Dina, guest
Target's prom, thrown in honor of stylist Kate Young's collaboration, was a lot like our proms—just trade the mini-bottles of pink champagne for shooters from mom and dad's liquor cabinet and the Disney singer/actresses escorted by their handlers for dancing couples being judged silently by chaperones. It was, however, exactly as sweaty as we remember. So in honor of Target's nostalgia inducing dance, we asked attendees what was they're favorite memory from a high school dance? Check out all the adorable, hilarious, and questionable answers above.
· Reminder: The Kate Young for Target Collection is Coming Sunday [Racked]
· All Party Bites Coverage [Racked]