Racked is no longer publishing. Thank you to everyone who read our work over the years. The archives will remain available here; for new stories, head over to Vox.com, where our staff is covering consumer culture for The Goods by Vox. You can also see what we’re up to by signing up here.
Sketches via WWD
Ever wondered how Kate Middleton would dress (a) if she actually wore maternity clothes while pregnant and (b) if she championed more designer brands like Chanel, DKNY, Chloé, and others on a regular bases in lieu of her high-street go-tos? WWD has solved the mystery by asking 13 or so designers to sketch up maternity options for the DoC, creating a fantasy pregnancy wardrobe unlike any other (Riccardo Tisci did not participate). Karl Lagerfeld's sketch is a favorite mostly for the Karlisms, written and implied. He scrawled next to the navy gown, "Proud to be pregnant." And what he really means is "proud to have this giant pregnancy cleavage" (See: Plunging-neckline-bustier combo) (The Queen would not approve despite the sleeves.) "I think this dress is very much in her taste," Karl noted. Would Kate-Middleton-wardrobe experts agree? What about the other 12 sketches below?
- Nina Ricci
- Nicole Miller
- “This evening look is in fine velvet textured with Dutch satin. [...] The bottom and the back are embroidered with eyelet in a Chinese flower shape.” Huishan Zhang
- Vera Wang
- Andrew Gn and the "egg-shaped dress"
- Alexis Mabille
- Nanette Lepore
- Lela Rose
- "Kate Middleton is elegant, sensual, timeless. This is a dress she could wear forever, at any age, at any stage, during and after her pregnancy." Donna Karan
- “A softly draped cocktail dress from our spring collection, but in an exclusive made-to-order mallard green, a shade that I think would be amazing on her coloring. [...] It is youthful yet demure with a beautiful embellished shoulder.” Amanda Wakeley
- Lorry Newhouse
· Kate Expectations: Maternity Designs for the Duchess of Cambridge [WWD]
· Karl Lagerfeld Gets Surprisingly Gushy About Kate Middleton [Racked]
· Karl Lagerfeld Doesn't Like Pippa Middleton's Face [Racked]