Racked is no longer publishing. Thank you to everyone who read our work over the years. The archives will remain available here; for new stories, head over to Vox.com, where our staff is covering consumer culture for The Goods by Vox. You can also see what we’re up to by signing up here.
Welcome to Beauty Wire, where we round up the day's biggest beauty news.
Lady Gaga's $12,000 fingernail, via ArtFact
Lady Gaga might claim to be 'born this way,' but girlfriend's nails are definitely acrylic. And today, the auction site ArtFact sold of them for more than $12,000. The site claims the black and gold nail "was personally worn by Lady Gaga during her 'The Born This Way Ball' tour" and "recovered from the stage by a crew member" after she finished her performance. [ArtFact]
· Hypnosis has been said to cure everything from smoking habits to Ben Stiller's M&Ms addiction, but now Lorac founder Carol Shaw, is crediting the practice with clearing up her cystic acne in only three sessions. "Every night and every morning I would do self-hypnosis? I would just say, 'The pimples are disappearing; I have beautiful clear skin. My skin is clear," she claims. "[The] only thing you have to do is visualize how you want to look." [The Cut]
· Because all the good whimsical names have been used already, Taylor Swift is calling her third fragrance simply Taylor by Taylor Swift. Swift said her first fragrances—Wonderstruck and Wonderstruck Enchanted, respectively—"were more about fairytales," but that this fragrance is more about her own style—so it'll probably smell like a fedora. [People]
· In a move that seems like it should've happened way sooner, Zooey Deschanel is finally getting her own nail decal collection by virtue of a collaboration with Rad Nails. The decals are inspired by the cover art from Deschanel's band's new album, and, like Deschanel, are an almost-too-cute collection of polka dots, pastel color blocks, and those bow ties she's so fond of. They come free when you buy the new She & Him album from Merge Records and use the promo code NAILS. [Refinery29]
· Olive Oyl joins the ranks of cartoon characters with beauty collections, as with Moschino will launch a new fragrance for their Cheap and Chic series shaped like Popeye's lady-love. The floral Chic Petals scent will be released this summer, almost making up for Fleet Week's cancellation. [WWD]
· In kind of a good news, bad news situation, nail art pro and Wah Nails founder Sharmadean Reid announced that she's releasing a second book. It will be called Wah Book of Downtown Girls and include 25 nail tutorials as well as tips on entrepreneurship. The downside: she still isn't planning on opening a stateside salon anytime soon. [Refinery29]——Alyssa Carroll