Racked is no longer publishing. Thank you to everyone who read our work over the years. The archives will remain available here; for new stories, head over to Vox.com, where our staff is covering consumer culture for The Goods by Vox. You can also see what we’re up to by signing up here.
Jenna via Getty
For clues as to how she balances this extreme success and poise with her image as the US's everywoman, we combed the walk-through of her day, published in Harper's Bazaar. Below compare and contrast how the EveryJenna stacks up to the Demi-God Jenna.
1. The EveryJenna is addicted to the snooze button and is late a lot: "I give myself maybe half an hour before I have to be out the door. One of my assistants gave me a T-shirt that says SORRY I'M LATE."
Oh, but that's before she goes to J.Crew offices, where Mickey Drexler pages her on an intercom system, which she can hear even in the bathroom: "The first day the intercoms were being installed at the J. Crew offices I was like, 'What the hell is that?' But it's awesome. Mickey Drexler, J. Crew's CEO, is sort of like a fireball of kinetic energy; he has more energy than my six-year-old. He had the intercom installed, and he uses it mostly to make sure he can get someone immediately. He'll say, 'Jenna, dial 001,' and you know where-ever you are, even in the bathroom, you can hear you're being paged."
2. The EveryJenna takes her caffeine like she takes her dessert: "My favorite thing in the world is coffee ice cream, so I try to get my coffee to taste as close to coffee ice cream as I can."
But the Demi-God Jenna is really, really serious about it: "I have an insane collection of ice cream in my fridge. I love anything related to coffee ice cream. The espresso gelato from Ciao Bella is amazing. I eat a lot of ice cream, chocolate, and cookies, and I drink rosé champagne."
3. The EveryJenna puts enough time into getting dressed to say "I give zero fucks": "I do my makeup in about five minutes, and I get dressed in about three minutes."
But it's easy for the Demi-God Jenna because she has some kind of nice things: "I go with probably month rotations for my bags. Right now it's a Céline mirror-metallic bag."
4. The EveryJenna dresses her 6-year-old son, Beckett, in the morning.
And the Demi-God Jenna's son loves cashmere and Louboutins: "I pick out clothes for my son, Beckett. He definitely has a preference for cashmere—I've created a monster." [...] "Sometimes Beckett picks out my shoes. The only thing is, he's got a one-track mind. I have these flat shoes, Christian Louboutin, with spikes all over them."
5. The EveryJenna is addicted to Instagram: "I check my Instagram far too much, like in the middle of meetings, which I need to stop doing. It's so sad."
But the Demi-God Jenna has 18 meetings a day, so whatever: "I eat in whatever meeting I'm in. I have between 10 and 18 meetings a day. It's a lot."
6. The EveryJenna likes going out with close friends best: I usually go out with friends; sometimes Courtney [Lyons's partner] will come. I like to go out with just a few people at a time. I'm not good in giant group situations.
But the Demi-God Jenna last went to "just went to see the Rolling Stones; Mick Jagger was four feet away from me."
7. The EveryJenna unwinds with booze, fashion magazines, and Girls: "To unwind, I usually drink one too many cocktails. I love looking at magazines. I get every possible one. I read everything from fashion magazines to New York. It's a problem—I have stacks all over the house. I go through my e-mails and read or catch up on episodes of Girls."
But then Demi-God Jenna crawls into jammies and a bed fit for Mt. Olympus: "For pajamas, I have, like, 800 J. Crew T-shirts that I rotate and these amazing Kiki de Montparnasse boxer shorts. The thing that changed my life was really good sheets. I have this Sferra set that is kind of magical and these incredible white goose-down pillows. I have an amazing bed, a California king."
8. The EveryJenna online shops like a champ: "I do my shopping really late at night, at the computer. I'm a voracious shopper when I have the chance."
The Demi-God Jenna is actually building her insane shoe and underwear collection: "I easily own 300 pairs of shoes. And I have so many clothes; I have storage spaces full of clothes. One of my indulgences is good underwear. I collect beautiful underwear from places like Kiki de Montparnasse, Marni, and Prada."
· My List: Jenna Lyons [Harper's Bazaar]
· Jenna Lyons Is One of Only Two Designers on the Time 100 List [Racked]
· J.Crew Makes Its Biggest Promotion Since Jenna Lyons [Racked]