Racked is no longer publishing. Thank you to everyone who read our work over the years. The archives will remain available here; for new stories, head over to Vox.com, where our staff is covering consumer culture for The Goods by Vox. You can also see what we’re up to by signing up here.
Welcome to Racked's third annual Weddings Week, where we'll be discussing all things wedding-related, from our favorite outfit ideas to the batshit craziest wedding traditions around. Happy wedding season!
Jodie Snyder Morel's engagement bling, courtesy Jodie Synder Morel
In honor of Weddings Week 2013—and because it's always a good time for some shiny distraction—five of our favorite jewelry designers shared their engagement rings with us, along with their proposal stories. From Erica Weiner's antique setting to Dannijo designer Jodie Snyder's asscher-cut diamond, there's a broad variety of styles, affirming that even for those who have made it their business to craft and create adornments, engagement rings are still as personal and special as each bride. Take a peek below.
- "I love that my husband picked out my ring without asking me what I wanted. It is exactly what I would have picked so he knows me pretty well. It is an asscher-cut diamond on a simple band. I love layering rings so will keep stacking them up. I was so sur
- "This is my engagement ring, [which dates] from the 1930s. My now-husband bought it from Doyle & Doyle. This was before I was dealing in antique engagement rings—but I still haven't found an antique ring I love as much as this one. I picked out the
- "My wedding band is my engagement ring. Because I am constantly working with my hands I didn't want anything fussy or flashy or a big stone to worry about. I wanted something simple and elegant I could wear every day, and layer with my own designs. Here I
- "My husband proposed to me two years before I actually became a jewelry designer. It was very romantic and very Californian. We were surfing at sunset and he told me to come out of the water where he was waiting on one knee. I started crying and saying s
- “I love that the engagement ring is actually blackened and not typical white gold. It gives the stones an edge. My husband surprised me by proposing before a huge Halloween party we were hosting (I was dressed as Malibu Barbie—scary.) I walked in after ha
· 18 Stunning Jewelry Designers You Should Know About Now [Racked]
· All Weddings Week coverage [Racked]