Racked is no longer publishing. Thank you to everyone who read our work over the years. The archives will remain available here; for new stories, head over to Vox.com, where our staff is covering consumer culture for The Goods by Vox. You can also see what we’re up to by signing up here.
While we can't deny that the inner prep in us likes the idea of matching our dress to our date's tie, the grown up in us knows this is easier said then done. To avoid looking like a prom couple gone horribly wrong, we took the liberty of putting together some dress and tie combos that match so effortlessly, all the other guest will be jealous of your dapper duo. From a black tie soirée pairing to garden party perfection, click through for eight ideas that will have you and your date stylishly in sync.—Cleo Zancope
- Perfect for beach-side weddings, this easy, breezy maxi dress features a floral print in an on-trend muted palette. Snag you date a complimentary tie and don't forget to remind him that real men wear pink.
- For the couple not afraid to get a little whimsical, pair your punchy neon dress with an unpredictably printed tie.
- If you've been looking for a short dress that's "black tie" appropriate, consider it found. These his and hers classic red styles are given a glamorous update in crisp silk.
- A timeless silhouette and pattern offers garden party perfection that you'll both get a ton of sartorial mileage from. Kate Spade Gingham Tallulah Dress, $428 and
- Bodycon + sunny yellow color = sexy outfit that's still wedding appropriate. Keep your date's tie from feeling too matchy-matchy by finding one with a fresh print.
- Ideal for daytime weddings with an indie feel, this flatteringly minimalist dress is the perfect canvas for bold accessories. Tell your date to do the same by keeping his attire neutral, and rocking some colorful shoes instead.
- Combine two fashion go-tos—leopard print and cobalt blue—and you've got an easy outfit that both makes perfect sense and will impress your friends. Make sure your date's tie is solid cobalt, so as not to distract from you!
- For a modern spin on cocktail attire, pick a shorter dress with long sleeves and a chic digital print. Find your guy a tie that picks up your dress's primary color while also sporting a subtle pattern.