Racked is no longer publishing. Thank you to everyone who read our work over the years. The archives will remain available here; for new stories, head over to Vox.com, where our staff is covering consumer culture for The Goods by Vox. You can also see what we’re up to by signing up here.
- Don't be intimidated by the space age brush, just apply slowly until you get used to this rad mascara from the future. Its advanced formula ensures it will stay all day without producing rock-hard eyelashes in the process.
- A must for protecting and enhancing your lashes, this conditioning primer also helps mascara adhere longer.
- Hypoallergenic, conditioning, and smudge-proof, this brownish-black mascara is perfect for offering a natural look that still packs a flirty punch.
- A cult classic for good reason, Dior knows how to make a mascara that doesn't disappoint. Swipe on for the kind of length and volume that will make you feel like a '70s bombshell.
- One of our favorite drugstore buys, don't be fooled by other brands' similarly shaped tubes (it's happened to us and we were not happy campers). The patent-pending brush and smooth formula allow for lots of volume with minimal clumpage.
- Another cult favorite, Clinique's mascaras deliver consistent results for a great price. High Impact Waterproof Mascara, $16 at
- We think the name says it all here. A no smudge mascara that's easy to build, this versatile formula offers length and long wear. Bobbi Brown No Smudge Mascara
- This unconventional offering doesn't paint your lashes the normal way. Instead it coats them in tiny tubes that adhere to your lashes. Great for adding length and separation, the product won't budge for water or rubbing alone, but combine warm water with
Warm-weather weddings have many upsides, but they do offer your make-up a few challenges. Surprise summer storm? Humid heat? Tears of joy? Experience any of these hiccups and you can kiss your carefully applied eye enhancements goodbye. Take an easy preventative measure—no beekeeper's headgear required—and make sure your mascara is waterproof.
We know, we know, you're wondering how to pick just one out of the seemingly endless options? We spoke with Sephora pro Sara Biria, who says to carefully consider how much time you want to invest in your beauty routine. Each brush and formula combination will offer slightly different results, so it's wise to invest in an option that's easy to build and layer. She also reminds us to be mindful about the size and shape of the brush in relation to the size and shape of our eyes. Anything too full and large might overwhelm smaller framed eyes and lashes, making a mess that won't be fun to remove.
Looking for some handy application advice? Our #1 tip for no-fail lashes is primer. Not only does it protect you from the harsh and drying effects that can happen from frequently using waterproof formulas (it is wedding season), but it will provide extra length and volume.
Biria also suggests working one eye at a time, because waterproof mascaras do tend to be a bit drier. And her secret for creating a dark and defined look that will allow your eyes to pop is to wiggle the brush at the base of the lashes before brushing through to the tip of the lash.
Click through our gallery above for 7 of the best waterproof options and our favorite primer, then get ready to bat those eyes no matter how steamy things get this summer.—Cleo Zancope
· All Weddings Week coverage [Racked]
· All Buy It Now posts [Racked]