Racked is no longer publishing. Thank you to everyone who read our work over the years. The archives will remain available here; for new stories, head over to Vox.com, where our staff is covering consumer culture for The Goods by Vox. You can also see what we’re up to by signing up here.
We've got a solid case for why the scarf is just as essential in summer as it is in winter. Heading out on a boat or convertible? Do up a head-scarf to make sure you don't end up with a bird's nest where your hair used to be. Weekending at the beach? Tie one as a barely there shirt, cute enough to wear around town. Tie it sarong-style over a bikini, drape it over your shoulders in the sun, and don't underestimate its usefulness in your battle with the office air-conditioner.
From silk to linen, cotton, or cashmere, the summer scarf is lightweight, compact, and stylish. Browse through 12 of our favorites after the jump and prepare to meet your new wardrobe workhorse.—Cleo Zancope
- C.Wonder Silk Lip Service Scarf, $44.99 (on sale from $68)
- Vera For Target Trellis Flower Square Scarf , $19.99 at Target
- Mossimo Pink Border Scarf, $11.99 (on sale from $14.99)
- Front Row Society Moon Rock S
- Urban Outfitters Anchors Aweigh Oversized Scarf, $24
- Modcloth "Thrive Got a Feeling" Scarf, $24.99
- Madewell Painted States Scarf, $49.50
- J.Crew Refined Silk Cashmere Wrap in Black, $75
- Lemlem Bella Gauze Square Scarf in red, $125
- Forever 21 Fringed Floral Boho Scarf, $8.80
- House of Waris Psalm Stole scarf in snow, blush, and Persia, $59 (on sale from $300)
- Gap neon-stripe infinity scarf in tree frog, $19.95
· All Buy It Now [Racked]