Racked is no longer publishing. Thank you to everyone who read our work over the years. The archives will remain available here; for new stories, head over to Vox.com, where our staff is covering consumer culture for The Goods by Vox. You can also see what we’re up to by signing up here.
The word "mousse" might bring back bad memories of crunchy curls and braces for some of us (a regrettable combination, let's not talk about that any more). But Vogue insist the reigning hair product of the '80s is back, and our NY editor agrees, so today we take a look at the new wave of modern mousse products—no scrunching required.
Remember how crunchy, dried out, and, yet, strangely wet that stuff used to make your hair? Yeah, that's a thing of the past. Modern mousses are now hydrating(!), and offer benefits like UV protection, frizz-control and touchable shine. Click through for 10 of the best neauvou-mousse options we could find, then prepare yourself for a summer full of humidity-resistant, voluminous, air-dried hair.—Cleo Zancope
- Per Racked NY's editor Tiffany Yannetta, Sebastian's Mousse Forte smells "freaky good" and creates a beachy, non crunchy looking texture. $11.99 a
- Hair, meet the mousse of the future. Oribe created this magic mousse in defiance of the runny, watery versions you might remember from your youth. His Grandiose Hair Plumping Mousse h
- For thicker, fuller hair with bombshell bounce that will last all day, Oscar Blandi's Hair Lift Mousse has got you and your hair covered. The secret
- When you see the words Bumble and Bumble, you know it's going to be good. Designed especially for curly hair, this Curl Conscious Holding Foam will hold your cur
- Calling all blondies, this mousse from Klorane has your name on it. Containing Egyptian chamomile, this volume-boosting product is rich in apigenine, a golden pigment that will intensify your blondness.
- John Frieda has been easing our frizz woes for what feels like forever now, so it's only natural that his mousse is on our must-have list. It claims super non-sticky, frizz-taming qualities, and also offers promises hydration and UV protection, to boot. <
- We may just have gotten up and done a happy dance when we discovered Oribe's Surfcomber Tussled Texture Mousse. While we love our surf spray, we are e
- For tousled waves so touchable you won't even know there's product in your hair, at a price that can't be beat, use Herbal Essences
- As one of our favorite drugstore hair-care brands, Pantene Pro-V does it again with their Curly Hair Series No Crunch
- Looking to amp up your flat, lifeless locks? Try Living Proof's Full Thickening Mousse. It's light-weight formula features a new technology that deposits a flexible, micro-pattern
· Protect Yo' Self: 10 SPF Multi-taskers for Hair and Face [Racked]
· All Buy It Now [Racked]