Racked is no longer publishing. Thank you to everyone who read our work over the years. The archives will remain available here; for new stories, head over to Vox.com, where our staff is covering consumer culture for The Goods by Vox. You can also see what we’re up to by signing up here.
June is an awkward time of year for our legs. It's hot enough to bare them, and yet, the pale-skinned among us haven't spent enough (spf protected) time in the sun to have any sort of desirable tan hue.
Of course, science can fix that. At-home tanning technology has come a long way since basic lotions: nowadays, there are gels, mousses, and toweletts, oh my! These new tanners do more than just impart color. They exfoliate, firm, moisturize, perfect, and more-or-less make you a better person. So we've rounded up some of the most streak-proof and hight-tech options to make sure you get a tan without having to step a foot into the sun. Check out nine of our favorites after the jump. —Cleo Zancope
- This Michael Kors leg-shine stick functions much like deodorant: twist up and glide on. Michael Kors Leg Shine, $10 at Sephora
- This one has maracuja oil and is applied with a special mit. Tarte Maracuja Self-Tanner & Application Mitt, $36 at
- A one-shade-fits-all gel. Per-fekt Matte Body Perfection Gel, $48 at Sephora
- We like this gel for it's quick-drying properties. Fake Bake Bronzing Gel in Natural Golden Glow, $19.99 (on sale from $24) at Drugstore.com
- This is the same spray tan formula bliss uses in their spas. It dries in five minutes and doesn't smell too self-tanner-y. A Tan for All Seasons Spray, $36 at
- These pads claim to not only tan, but also to exfoliate, prevent aging, firm and smooth bumpy skin, and reduce hair growth. At the very least, they make applying tanner easier. Dr. Dennis Gross Skincare Alpha Beta® Glow Pads' Exfoliating Anti-Aging
- At about $1 per towelette, this is a good option if you want to try out the trend without dropping too much bank. L'Oreal Sublime Bronze Self-Tanning Towelettes, 6 count, $7.99 (on sale from $9.99) at
- With a guarantee to dry in 60 seconds flat, mousse is a good option if you need your fake tan in a hurry. St. Tropez Self Tan Bronzing Mousse, $32 at Sephora
- This guy's claim to fame is that it's actually free from tanning agent, so the mousse won't stain your clothes. St. Tropez Wash Off Instant Glow Mousse, $22.50 at
· All Buy It Now posts [Racked]