Racked is no longer publishing. Thank you to everyone who read our work over the years. The archives will remain available here; for new stories, head over to Vox.com, where our staff is covering consumer culture for The Goods by Vox. You can also see what we’re up to by signing up here.
As tried and true Benefit Cosmetics fans here at Racked (and it's only partially thanks to the product names and cheeky ads), we were delighted and dismayed by their latest commercial, a minute-long romp through eight women's introduction to They're Real! Mascara via the crotch bulge of various hunks. It was confusing and tumultuous time in our Wednesday morning. Below is a list of our main struggles.
1. Vinny from Jersey Shore is in it.
2. Vinny from Jersey Shore is in it and he's a yoga instructor.
3. Vinny from Jersey Shore is in it.
4. At some point in the creative process that brought this commercial into being, somebody made the connection between crotches and eyes and a lightbulb went off.
5. Minor point: How did the mascara get in their groin zone? Or maybe the better question is when?
Check it out; We're going to go process these new feelings.