Racked is no longer publishing. Thank you to everyone who read our work over the years. The archives will remain available here; for new stories, head over to Vox.com, where our staff is covering consumer culture for The Goods by Vox. You can also see what we’re up to by signing up here.
The Target team is very excited about its upcoming Phillip Lim collaboration—so excited that they've decided to bring it to as many people and cities as possible before it hits stores Sunday, September 15th. So after a press preview in New York, the Target crew trucked Lim's collection around the US on a massive media tour. They hit up Dallas, Los Angeles, Chicago, Toronto, and Miami and will return to New York next week. The feat included 8,100 miles of travel with 90 crew members; 48 beauty, hair and makeup artists; and 24 production trailers.
A "curator" was selected in each city to help Target cast and recruit the area's most stylish influencers for a series of photo shoots. In Dallas, they turned to Tina Craig of Snob Media; in LA it was Marlien Rentmeester of Le Catch; D. Graham Kostic of Glossed & Found did the job in Chicago; Hans Koechling, pres of production agency The Image Is ? was tapped in Toronto; John Joseph Lin, style editor of Ocean Drive, helped out in Miami; and Gigi Guerra, Target's design partnerships curator, took care of things in NYC. Each city's shoot had its own theme.
· First stop, Dallas on August 8th: The theme was a drive-in movie night where locals meet up and watch a flick while enjoying some "good Texas food."
· Second stop, LA on August 13th: A beach bonfire party, laid-back Cali style (live music, sparklers).
· Third stop, Chicago on August 15th: The shoot took place during Chicago's gusty "golden hour."
· Fourth stop, Toronto on August 19th: The concept (or the reality) was high-noon in a public park during a heatwave.
· Fifth stop, Miami yesterday morning: Target shot on a street corner near the ocean with local performers and passersby. There was a coconut cart involved.
· Sixth stop, New York City on August 27th: Sunrise in the city with men and women either heading to work or leaving a party, walk of shame-style.
What exactly goes down during one of these Target stops? Here, a few snaps from yesterday's shoot in South Beach.