Racked is no longer publishing. Thank you to everyone who read our work over the years. The archives will remain available here; for new stories, head over to Vox.com, where our staff is covering consumer culture for The Goods by Vox. You can also see what we’re up to by signing up here.
Tonight's MTV Video Music Awards brought out all all the top 40 heavy hitters you're already sick of on the radio. Miley was there, dressed in a variety of crop-top ensembles and wearing throwback Gwen Stefani mini buns; Robin Thicke was there to perform a rendition of "Blurred Lines": One Direction was there to look hunky in low-cut shirts; and Gaga was there (with her dad!) working her new stripped-down look.
As is the case every year with the VMAs, no one knows what to wear and lots of people end up looking bizarre, but this year's unofficial dress code seemed to be dark and sexy. Besties Taylor Swift and Selena Gomez selected slinky navy dresses that were either plunging (Taylor) or slit way up the thigh (Selena). Taking the award for most revealing was model Erin Wasson who arrived in a gown that was 95% sheer mesh. Click through for all of the night's most notable outfits.
- 1D showed off scrawny chesticles.
- Is that you Beyoncé? Nope, it's Rita Ora.
- For Gaga, this is really low-key.
- Escorted by her dad, Joseph Germanotta.
- Taylor Swift vamped it up in a plunging navy number.
- Selena working it in dark blue Versace.
- Allison Williams just flat-out refused to dress crazy.
- Erin Wasson decided to wear...this.
- Full-on WASSON rocking a fishtale, a turban and mesh.
- Drizzy Drake in the color of the evening, black.
- Katy Perry took literal inspiration from her single, "Roar."
- Macklemore and his main squeeze Tricia Davis.
- Miley Cyrus
- "What, you want me to twerk?"
- Meet Busta Rhymes' favorite jacket.
- 2 Chainz!
- Robin Thicke and Miley's "Blurred Lines" outfit.
- Ellie Goulding
- Wiz Khalifa
- Two thirds of TLC.
- Ed Sheeran just wore some regular old clothes.
- Iggy Azalea poses with a fan.
- Richard Simmons, for some reason.
- Danity Kane
- Skinny Snooki with her husband, Jionni LaValle
- Vinny's carefully-scuplted eyebrows walk the red carpet.
- Ron Ron and Sammi Sweetheart.
- Jersey Shore's JWOWW.
- Holland Roden
- Singer Ariana Grande
· MTV Video Music Awards [Official Site]
· Eight WTF Products From the VMA Celebrity Swag Bag [Racked NY]