Racked is no longer publishing. Thank you to everyone who read our work over the years. The archives will remain available here; for new stories, head over to Vox.com, where our staff is covering consumer culture for The Goods by Vox. You can also see what we’re up to by signing up here.
If you woke up this morning to the cyberspace carnage left in Miley Cyrus' wake, fear not: Here's everything you need to know from last night's MTV Video Music Awards. F-bombs abounded, twerking went down, and then up, and then down again, and Rihanna didn't care for any of it, at all. Below find the events from the two hour spectacle in Brooklyn's Barclays Center getting the most chatter.
Celebrities reacting to celebrities, via Twitter/@TaylorKinney
1. Lady Gaga showed up in a fairly tame black dress: And then hyper-changed costumes on-stage until she was left in a sea-shell bra and white thong. It was a sharp cultural critique about...something.
Image via Instagram
2. Miley Cyrus: Miley, Miley, Miley. She twerked, she clawed at hair she didn't have, she diverted attention from the dead-looking giant teddy bears behind her with her antics, and her rogue tongue was only rivaled by those things she did with a foam finger. She made Robin Thicke look not that slimy. The Insta above really sums up the experience. Drake's, Rihanna's, One Direction's, and Taylor Swift's reactions also work. This Tweet sums up our reaction:
Just woke up from a nightmare about beetlejuice and a child in latex underwear grinding on him.— alexa chung (@alexa_chung) August 26, 2013
T.Swift didn't stop, via Getty
3. Taylor Swift was a must-watch both on-stage and off: She said "Shut the fuck up" when One Direction spoke on stage, and thanked the person who inspired "Trouble," who "knows exactly who he is," for helping her get a MoonMan. And she danced. Oh, did she dance.
More, please. Photo via Getty
4. Justin Timberlake performed for approximately 40% of the two hour awards: Which would have been fine with everyone if *NSYNC was allowed more that a minute and 15 seconds to get down with him. Still it was the highlight of the internet. With each little BYE BYE BYE leap, hearts across the nation exploded.
T-Boz and Chilli, via Getty
5. Jared Leto, Lil Kim, and two-thirds of TLC made announcer cameos also: Golden years, y'all.
Image via @Celebuss
6. Lady Gaga didn't even want be there anymore: After One Direction was collectively booed when accepting their award for "Song of the Summer," Lady Gaga was overheard backstage telling them "If I did hear what I heard out there, I just want to tell you that you deserve every bit of success that you have. I want to leave right now. I don't want to stay anymore because I don't want to be in a room where people are booing." They're response was a stoic "Fuck it, fuck it" and, cleverly, "I feel underdressed."
Image via Getty
7. Katy Perry closed the show with the first live performance of her single "Roar." She didn't dance, really, unless you count the part where she jumped rope for the final 20 seconds. Still, everyone preferred that to everything Miley did.
· All The Sexiest, Weirdest and Most Turnt Up MTV VMAs Outfits [Racked]