Racked is no longer publishing. Thank you to everyone who read our work over the years. The archives will remain available here; for new stories, head over to Vox.com, where our staff is covering consumer culture for The Goods by Vox. You can also see what we’re up to by signing up here.
Apple CEO Tim Cook took the stage in Palo Alto at 1pm on the dot today to reveal the company's new iPhones and their exciting features to a likely-salivating tech media. He demoed features like an improved Siri, who will soon come with a male or female voice (user choice) and updated search capabilities (she or he discovered Twitter). Then Cook announced that, as rumored, there will be two classes of new iPhones with two different price structures: the 5C and the 5S. Click through for the new features, and rest easy knowing that these eager young men lined up at a Manhattan store now presumably know what they are waiting for. Ten more days, guys. Ten more days.
The iPhone 5S:
· It comes in silver, gold and space gray, all made of high-grade aluminum. See below:
Image via Daily Intelligencer
· Battery life is ten hours of 3G talk time, eight hours of 3G browsing, and ten hours of LTE browsing. Or so they say.
· The camera is getting a makeover: Called the iSight, it will have auto-image stabilization, meaning moving photos will be sharper (great news for the runway). Also, meet the new burst mode, with which the camera takes ten frames per second while the user holds down the shutter. Then the iPhone will automatically choose the best shots. You can also make slow-motion videos.
· Security: "Touch ID" is sensor technology on the home button that uses a fingerprint to access the phone. The button is made from Sapphire crystal, one of the clearest glasses. A steel ring around its perimeter detects a user's finger and tells the sensor to start identifying his or her fingerprint by "arch, loop, whirl." You've now entered James Bond-zone.
· It's available on September 20.
· Pricing is $199 for 16 gig, $299 for the 32 gig, and $399 for 64 gig with two year wireless contract. The new cases from Apple will be $39 each.
· In five colors: Green, white, yellow, blue, pink.
· Apple's SVP of design calls the look "unapologetically plastic." It has a clear lacquer hard-coat that has a "solid dense feel you would not expect from a plastic product." In contrast, the cases are a soft matte.
· The price will be $99 with contract for 16 GB, $199 with contract for 32 GB. Apple will also offer six color cases $29 each.
· Starting on Sept. 13, you can pre-order iPhone 5C and it will ship on September 20.