Racked is no longer publishing. Thank you to everyone who read our work over the years. The archives will remain available here; for new stories, head over to Vox.com, where our staff is covering consumer culture for The Goods by Vox. You can also see what we’re up to by signing up here.
Luxury department store Saks has big plans for its Off 5th outlet spinoff. Like its competitor Nordstrom Rack, there are more Saks Off 5th outlets than actual Saks department stores and the imbalance only continues to grow. Currently the ratio is 41 full-price stores to 70 outlets, but that'll be skewed even further with the opening of 13 more Saks Off 5th outposts this year and 7 more next year. It is curious how they can continue to stock all their outlets, right? Clearly, the merchandise can't all be coming directly from Saks department stores.
The lucky malls landing a Saks Off 5th next year are: The Outlets at Bloomfield in Pearl, MS; Potomac Mills in Woodbridge, VA; Palm Beach Outlets in West Palm Beach, FL; Outlet Shoppes at Louisville/Lexington, KY; Twin Cities of Eagan in Minneapolis, MN; The Mayfair Collection in Mayfair, WI; and Easton Gateway in Columbus, OH. Each will be sized at about 25,000 to 28,000 square feet.
· Saks Off 5th [Official Site]
· Saks Incorporated Announces Plans for Seven New Saks Fifth Avenue OFF 5TH Stores in 2014 [Saks Incorporated]
· Saks to Open More Off-5ths [WWD, sub req]
· WILD: Record-Breaking, Art-Filled Outlet Mall Opens in Chicago [Racked]
· Nordstrom Rack Eliminates Lines With iTouch Registers [Racked]