Racked is no longer publishing. Thank you to everyone who read our work over the years. The archives will remain available here; for new stories, head over to Vox.com, where our staff is covering consumer culture for The Goods by Vox. You can also see what we’re up to by signing up here.
October 2013 issue of Rolling Stone
Rolling Stone featured an interview with the America's number one point of confusion, Miley Cyrus, in which she and the writer went sky diving together and she got her first foot tatt (it says "Rolling $tone"). The article itself is basically one, long Miley quote, which means there's lots to learn. Miley's drink is Gatorade and Malibu, for example. Below you'll find 11 other things we learned from her. And bonus! Her new video for "23."
1. On tatts: "People get tattoos of the most fucked-up shit," Miley says. "Did you know Alec Baldwin has Hannah Montana's initials tattooed on him? No, wait—Stephen Baldwin. He said he was my biggest fan, and I told him my biggest fans have tattoos. So he got hm tattooed on his shoulder. People do fucked-up shit."
2. On good ideas: "I think it's an important time not to Google myself."
3. On double standards and America: "No one is talking about the man behind the ass. It was a lot of 'Miley twerks on Robin Thicke,' but never, 'Robin Thicke grinds up on Miley.' They're only talking about the one that bent over. So obviously there's a double standard. [...] America is just so weird in what they think is right and wrong. Like, I was watching Breaking Bad the other day, and they were cooking meth. I could literally cook meth because of that show. It's a how-to. And then they bleeped out the word 'fuck.' And I'm like, really? They killed a guy, and disintegrated his body in acid, but you're not allowed to say 'fuck'? It's like when they bleeped 'molly' at the VMAs. Look what I'm doing up here right now, and you're going to bleep out 'molly'? Whatever."
4. On Kanye buying her five pairs of fluffy Celine shoes because she mentioned hers were falling apart: "Kanye is the shit. I kind of have a good relationship with him now. It's good to have someone you can call and be like, 'Yo, do you think I should wear this?' 'Do you think I should go in the studio with this guy?' 'Do you think this is cool?' That's what homies are supposed to do."
5. On knowing what she's doing: "I wasn't trying to be sexy. If I was trying to be sexy, I could have been sexy. I can dance a lot better than I was dancing." She knows sticking her tongue out isn't hot and that those weird stubby pigtails aren't flattering ("I look like a little creature"). And she even knows it's ridiculous for her to twerk. "People are like, 'Miley thinks she's a black girl, but she's got the flattest ass ever,'" she says. "I'm like, I'm 108 pounds! I know! Now people expect me to come out and twerk with my tongue out all the time. I'll probably never do that shit again."
6. On critics who called the VMAs "racist": "I don't keep my producers or dancers around 'cause it makes me look cool. Those aren't my 'accessories.' They're my homies. I'm from one of the wealthiest counties in America. I know what I am. But I also know what I like to listen to. Look at any 20-year-old white girl right now—that's what they're listening to at the club. It's 2013. The gays are getting married, we're all collaborating. I would never think about the color of my dancers, like, 'Ooh, that might be controversial.' What do you mean? Times are changing. I think there's a generation or two left, and then it's gonna be a whole new world."
7. On those tears from "Wrecking Ball" video: "That was real. My dog just passed away."
8. On just blending in: "Have you ever been to South Street in Philly? That's where I got my first chain. Sixteen bucks—not real. I was away from people for a minute, and I just started feeling my own vibe. I bought a pair of Doc Martens. I shaved my head. Driving a fucking Ford Explorer around. Just blending in."
9. On embarrassing moms: "When she's being embarrassing, she'll call me 'sweet girl,' When we were getting ready for the VMAs, I was about to put on my teddy-bear costume and she's like, 'Sweet girl, do you need to potty before you put your costume on?' I'm like, 'Mom! Kanye is standing right here!'"
10. On who you call, or don't call, after sky diving: "Six minutes later, everyone is safe on the ground. 'Holy shit!' Miley says. 'That was awesome!' She calls her mom and tells her she's alive. 'One thing about sky diving,' she says, 'you really know who you love, based on who you call. I ask her if she talked to Liam already. 'Oh, shit!' she says, and takes her phone back out. (Two weeks later, the couple will announce their split.)"
11. On texts from Pharrel comparing her to uranium: "'This is why I love Pharrell so much,' she says, then reads a text that he sent her out loud. It's at least 1,000 characters long; she scrolls forever. 'The VMAs was nothing more than God or the Universe showing you how powerful anything you do is,' he says at one point. 'It's like uranium—it has the power to take over lives or power entire countries. Now that you've seen your power, master it [...] You're not a train wreck. You're the train pulling everyone else along.'"
And to conserve space on the internet, we're just going to put her new video right...here.
· At Least Miley Cyrus Wore Pasties to iHeartRadio Music Fest [Racked]
· Miley Cyrus Explores New Ways to Be Naked in Latest Video [Racked]