Racked is no longer publishing. Thank you to everyone who read our work over the years. The archives will remain available here; for new stories, head over to Vox.com, where our staff is covering consumer culture for The Goods by Vox. You can also see what we’re up to by signing up here.
Last night, we headed to the press preview event for the Phillip Lim for Target collection, and like Diddy at Burning Man, we will never be the same. For a frame of reference, doors opened around 7:00pm and we were in by 7:15pm. What we found was outright pandemonium around a barren landscape that was, at some point we're told, filled with Phillip Lim goodness.
Most people were headed for the sweaters and bags. When all those items ran out, several wily members of the mob (who we totally want on our team if the apocalypse goes down tomorrow) stood guard around the stock room. Once the man working the floor came out with bags lining his arms, they bombarded him and picked him clean before he could get to the display table. Items that were left on the shelf included the men's leather jacket and some women's white button downs. Everything else was taken. Below find a play-by-play of the general madness seen at the press preview. If it was any indication of what's to come, start greasing your elbows and/or working out your online shopping muscles. You're going to need it come September 15.
- When you walk in the Phillip Lim for Target event, you see this.
- So in order to prevent hyperventilation you grab one of these nuclear waste buckets and hope for the best.
- And then you see the panorama from Target's 8,100 mile road trip. It's pret
- And celebrities start filtering in.
- And still more celebrities arrive.
- So now you feel ready to turn to the clothes, which apparently looked like this at one point.
- But you found them more like this.
- And this, if you're lucky.
- So you consider breaking into this glass case, which is far to demure for this event anyway, and grab the bag that'll fit your laptop. You thankfully see a scarf someone unwittingly drop
- But then you see the checkout line and you're like, screw it, I'll get it on eBay.