Racked is no longer publishing. Thank you to everyone who read our work over the years. The archives will remain available here; for new stories, head over to Vox.com, where our staff is covering consumer culture for The Goods by Vox. You can also see what we’re up to by signing up here.
- Rason, a Maasai beader, in the Orbit Filigree in Gold Glitter. Photos by Derek Henderson for Karen Walker.
- Winnifred, a supervisor, in One Worship in Black with Gold.
- Alex, an artist, in Joyous in Crazy Tort.
- Velma, an assistant, in One Worship in Lavender with Gold.
- Winnifred in Joyous in Gold Glitter.
- Kappoka, a Maasai beader, in Enlightened in Black with Gold.
- Anton, a metal caster, in Utopia in Crazy Tort.
- Florence, an artist, in Super Worship in Black with Gold.
- Beatrice, a craftsperson, in Orbit Filigree in Black.
- Alex in Utopia in Gold Glitter.
- Collins in Deep Worship in Black with Gold.
- Alex in Enlightened in Black with Gold.
- Rose, a craftsperson, in Faithful in Turquoise.
- Beatrice in Super Worship in Orange with Gold.
- Winnifred in Faithful in Crazy Tort.
- Velma in Orbit Filigree in Gold Glitter.
- Florence in Praise Maker in Turquoise with Gold.
Designer Karen Walker journeyed to Kenya to shoot her latest eyewear campaign, titled Visible. According to Karen Walker's Facebook page, the New Zealander partnered with United Nations' ITC Ethical Fashion Initiative this season to work with artisans in "urban slums and disadvantaged rural areas" of the country. "The Ethical Fashion Initiative's motto is NOT CHARITY, JUST WORK and their task is to promote sustainable business over aid dependency," she explains.
Craftspeople in the region created pouches to accompany the collection—screen-printed versions will ship with each pair of sunnies and more elaborate, beaded styles will be available for separate purchase. They also took a turn as models, posing in frames for the official campaign. The sunglasses will be available for purchase starting February 10 in Karen Walker stores and, presumably, online.
· KAREN WALKER VISIBLE [Karen Walker/Facebook]
· Karen Walker Shines a Light on Kenya [StyleFile]
· Erin Fetherston Designed Twee Jewelry for JewelMint [Racked]
· Madewell's New Designer Serves Up His First Lookbook [Racked]