Racked is no longer publishing. Thank you to everyone who read our work over the years. The archives will remain available here; for new stories, head over to Vox.com, where our staff is covering consumer culture for The Goods by Vox. You can also see what we’re up to by signing up here.
Kmart is reporting a breach of its payment systems. The malware attack affected some shoppers' debit and credit-card numbers, according to the Wall Street Journal, but a spokesperson for parent company Sears declined to report how many customers could be affected by the breach.
Sears security experts discovered the Kmart breach last Thursday and believe it may have began in early September. The breach reportedly did not affect Kmart's website, Sears stores, or the Sears website.
· Kmart Stores Hit by Data Breach [WSJ]
· Kmart Says Credit Card System Breached In Malware Attack [Buzzfeed]
· Home Depot Ignored Repeated Cybersecurity Warnings [Racked]
· It Feels Like Summer, But Kmart Is Airing Christmas Ads [Racked]
· Jillian Michaels Knows You're Paying Too Much for Workout Pants [Racked]