Racked is no longer publishing. Thank you to everyone who read our work over the years. The archives will remain available here; for new stories, head over to Vox.com, where our staff is covering consumer culture for The Goods by Vox. You can also see what we’re up to by signing up here.
Signing on to be a coach for The Voice seems like the choice you make when you've exhausted all other options, including a perfume, music video that involves you stalking your wife, or striking a promotions deal with a toothbrush company. It's unnecessary and slightly embarrassing, yet assuredly lucrative. But at what could be the peak of her fame, Taylor Swift has decided to join the olds (relative to Swift's 24 years), and the rationale isn't totally obvious right now. A few possible reasons:
1. Benson has needs.
2. "Pharrell is on it so it can't be that bad?" -TSwift's misguided thoughts.
3. Or she's just crushing on Pharrell. In which case a ballad that alludes to him being the source of her happiness is already in the making.
4. She stopped dating men so is no longer breaking up with men so she has no more songs.
5. With enough tequila, you can be persuaded to sign your name on a lot of things.
6. Too many patterned crop tops, not enough places to wear them.
7. IDK, Shakira?
8. She's fueled by the attention her awkward dancing gets.