Racked is no longer publishing. Thank you to everyone who read our work over the years. The archives will remain available here; for new stories, head over to Vox.com, where our staff is covering consumer culture for The Goods by Vox. You can also see what we’re up to by signing up here.
Walmart employee labor group OUR Walmart will protest at Walmart stores across the country on the retailer's busiest day of the year. PBS NewsHour reports that the group of Walmart employees seeking higher wages says they will protest at 1,600 Wal-Mart stores nationwide on Black Friday. OUR Walmart said it organized rallies at 1,200 to 1,400 Walmart stores last year during Black Friday.
The group's online petition reads: "Dear Walmart Owners, the Waltons: I support Walmart workers' calls for $15/hr and access to full time hours. If you fail to respond by Black Friday, (November 28th) the biggest shopping day of the year, we will hold massive protests nationwide." OUR Walmart recently staged a sit down strike at Walmart in Los Angeles.
· 2014 Black Friday Walmart Protests [Official Site]
· Wal-Mart workers planning protests at thousands of stores on Black Friday [PBS NewsHour]
· Black Friday Deals Start Tomorrow for Amazon and Walmart [Racked]
· Nearly 10,000 People Sign Walmart Dress Code Petition [Racked]
· Are Black Friday Sales Worth the Hype? Experts Weigh In [Racked]