Racked is no longer publishing. Thank you to everyone who read our work over the years. The archives will remain available here; for new stories, head over to Vox.com, where our staff is covering consumer culture for The Goods by Vox. You can also see what we’re up to by signing up here.
Welcome to GroupTalk, a new Racked feature where we highlight debates raging on the internet's fashion, beauty and fitness forums.
The obsession with the thigh-gap and whether or not celebrities photoshop their own social media photos (plus if it matters and how it matters and how we should talk about it) rages on. The latest focus is Beyoncé, casually pretend golfing in a bathing suit on her Instagram today. Between bow-down emojis and random spam, there's the accusation that her legs are photoshopped to include the oft-maligned thigh-gap. Also pleas to fire her photoshopper because he/she did a bad job:
·@iman_abdulhadi: Haha photoshopped I guess. That thigh gap is bigger than mine omg
· @annaelektrakoukis: where are beyonces legs?
· @alexiagrohe: She photoshopped this.. Compare it to the other one....
· @arianahsley: even bey photoshops her legs!
· @shayxshe: It's the way she is standing. It's not photoshopped.
· @myfairmimsey: Seriously? As someone who sings about empowering girls and women, its a shame that you post pictures of yourself that are clearly photoshopped.
It really doesn't get much more nuanced than that. Here's one take on the situation.
· @Beyonce [Instagram]
· Beyoncé's Dress Designer Reveals She's Tiny, World Freaks [Racked]