Racked is no longer publishing. Thank you to everyone who read our work over the years. The archives will remain available here; for new stories, head over to Vox.com, where our staff is covering consumer culture for The Goods by Vox. You can also see what we’re up to by signing up here.
Allure's bread and butter is beauty. The Condé Nast title is one of the most high-profile authoritative voice on the subject. But they're being left behind on YouTube in the era of "women in bedrooms" vloggers like Michelle Phan.
So instead of cribbing on these beauty vlogger's style, the magazine has launched a YouTube channel with four shows. They'll mostly involve makeovers of various kinds, but see below for details on each—we're most excited for Hair Tyrant because what?
1. Beauty Basics: Ten episodes of makeup tutorials.
2. Cassandra: 12 episodes of Cassandra Bankson, online personality and model, surprising viewers with makeovers.
3. Beauty Evolution: 16 episodes of breaking down beauty and style changes.
4. Hair Tyrant: Last but most exciting, 32 episodes of sass-monger and celebrity stylist Ashley Javier "transforming" real women. He says in the first episode, "I'm not known for being very nice." Astrology is also involved.
Allure's EIC Linda Wells says that the mag's legacy separates their channel from the beauty tutorial noise: "There are so many people who are making videos from their bedrooms, but we can give a more authoritative look. People like to relate to the girl in her bedroom, but we can say we're Allure, we have a more definitive look and a lot of access."
· Allure Launching YouTube Channel [WWD]
· Michelle Phan Tells Beauty Brands to Chill for 'Authentic' Videos [Racked]