Racked is no longer publishing. Thank you to everyone who read our work over the years. The archives will remain available here; for new stories, head over to Vox.com, where our staff is covering consumer culture for The Goods by Vox. You can also see what we’re up to by signing up here.
Welcome to GroupTalk, a Racked feature where we highlight debates raging on the internet's fashion, beauty and fitness forums.
Wang with H&M head honcho Margareta van den Bosch. Image via H&M/Twitter.
On Sunday, April 13, H&M dropped a bombshell when it revealed that its next designer collaborator was none other than Alexander Wang. Wang, already in the press thanks to his new gig at Balenciaga, will design a collection of apparel, accessories and "lifestyle" offerings for men and women to hit stores November 6.
"I am honored to be a part of H&M's designer collaborations," Wang said. "The work with their team is an exciting, fun process. They are very open to pushing boundaries and to set a platform for creativity. This will be a great way for a wider audience to experience elements of the Alexander Wang brand and lifestyle." Wang is the first American designer to be picked by H&M as a collaborator, the brand noted.
Over on fashion forum The Fashion Spot, the reaction was quick and mixed. Thoughts, from the thread:
· "I would have thought Balenciaga would try to keep him a little more exclusive for a while, but nope, full on 360° commercialization here. Exciting for H&M, this is huge. But yeah, the Wang collections range is already quite big and he's not that creative that I would expect him to do anything here that he hasn't already done for A. Wang, T by or Balenciaga. Still, this will probably be pretty good (almost certainly better than all the other recent H&M collabs) and a massive hit."
· "I'm not terribly interested in this. I don't see how this is going to be different than his T line (which also comprises leather, knit and wool items as well as jersey). I'm guessing the lifestyle items are going to be cosmetics. He already has home items in his main line."
· "Isn't he spreading himself a little thin?! He should be pouring all his energy into Balenciaga."
· "Wow he's one of the last people I expected to collaborate with H&M, I'm surprised Balenciaga are allowing it. Every item I've bought from T By Alexander Wang has been of great quality so it will be interesting to see what H&M budget Alexander Wang will look and feel like."
· "I think it's lame to hype up a collaboration more than six months before the release date. It just goes to show that the wares at H&M are so weak that they have to resort to publicity this early."
Is the response a little lackluster? Does this have to do with Alex Wang as a designer, his other projects, the long tease or collaboration fatigue in general? What's actually exciting to you about the collection?
· IT'S ALL HAPPENING! Alexander Wang x H&M, November 6th [Racked]
· Beyoncé Thigh-Gap Mini-Controversy Brewing on Instagram [Racked]
· Marie Claire's Hollywood Issue Covers: Was Lupita Robbed? [Racked]