Racked is no longer publishing. Thank you to everyone who read our work over the years. The archives will remain available here; for new stories, head over to Vox.com, where our staff is covering consumer culture for The Goods by Vox. You can also see what we’re up to by signing up here.
Welcome to Beauty Diary: Seven days of getting glam with an industry insider. From publicists to professional makeup artists, this is a week in the life of someone who lives and breathes beauty.
- It's very rare that my desk is this organized, but once a week I try to clear away the mounds of makeup (sent to me to review) that occupy most of my workspace. This is usually everyone's favorite day at Cosmopolitan.com, since each of the editors usually
- The Polar Vortex gave me a good excuse to bust out my cozy, winter white sweater and this gorgeous berry lip and cheek color (Raisin the Roof from Drew Barrymore's makeup line Flower) which pops against the sweater perfec
- Lately I'm obsessed with stacking rings upon rings. Here's a stash I recently picked up from Awoke Vintage in Brooklyn. I took this artsy shot at The Fat Radish (their roasted autumn squash is to die for).
- I live in a studio and since my bedroom is also my living room, making my bed every morning is a necessity. I'll never get tired of this Missoni for Target blanket and my monogrammed "C" pillow from Jonathan Adler. His pi
- On days like today, when I have a million events to go to, I pick up a Supa Dupa Greens juice from Juice Generation, which is right around the corner from our office at the Hearst Tower.
- I went bowling with these beauties at Brooklyn Bowl, and then headed to the Wythe Hotel for a friend's birthday. I snapped this silly selfie in the elevator on the way up to the rooftop bar.
- I went to a Barre Burn class at Equinox with a friend. I need motivation to go to the gym, so I try to take as many classes as I can and make sure to go with a friend who will hold me accountable. Otherwise, I'll just skip it all together and go grab brun
- After the gym, I went shopping with my friends Kait and Megan in SoHo. Kait snapped this pic of me on Crosby Street on our way to Amaracord Vintage. On weekends, I like to keep my look super simple, so I usually only curl my eyelashes (wi
- And the shopping continues… Here we are taking advantage of the photo booth at the Warby Parker store.
- This is me busting a move at Bungalow 8. I'm more of a barely-there makeup kind of girl, so when I go out dancing with my friends, my look usually consists of a light foundation (Drew Barrymore's Flower foundation is my fave), mascara, a
- I can't function in the morning without a tall vanilla soy latte. Here's my personalized cup from Stumptown Coffee. Still using that same Flower lip color. Can you tell I'm obsessed?
- A few of my friends are involved with Good York, an organization that helps anyone in need. So, this afternoon, since it was bitter cold, we handed out coats to anyone who needed one.
- After handing out coats, a bunch of us went to the New York Comedy Club. I love going to comedy clubs—it's one of my favorite things to do in New York, and I couldn’t agree more with Marilyn (Monroe): "A smile is the best makeup that any girl can wear."
- VMV Hypoallergenics Boo-Boo Balm is my go-to product each morning. I swipe it over my lips before I brush my teeth and use it on a cotton swab to clear away any mascara that's under my eyes when I wake up. Here's my I-just-woke-up-don't-j
- I'm going out in Brooklyn tonight, but before I go anywhere I always spritz on one of these three scents: Bond No. 9 Nuits de Noho, La Prairie Midnight Rain, and Elizabeth and James
- Back at the Wythe Hotel tonight. Sorry I'm not showing you the panoramic view of New York City—instead, I'm more captivated by this message on their wall: "Your Inside Beauty Is Strength."
- As a beauty editor, I receive products on a daily basis to test and review. I randomly noticed this blue story happening on my desk, so I had to share it—it is that pretty.
- One of my favorite things about my job is when I get to interview celebrities. Here I am on the phone interviewing Molly Sims about Nexxus and her new red hair color. Writing an article later today on her tips for keeping
- Every Tuesday at 4 p.m. EST, Cosmopolitan.com live streams #CosmoLive, an editorial meeting where we pitch ideas for the following week (and also accept outside ideas from our Twitter followers), bring on interesting guests (today's is a burlesque dancer)
- Lights out! I have a street lamp right outside my window and would not be able to get my beauty sleep without this Henri Bendel sleep mask.
- Feeling like I need some greens in my life this morning. This BluePrint Cleanse Green Juice is one of my go-tos; here it is amongst a few of the items that live on my desk.
- I love getting nail art once in a while, so when nail artist Miss Pop came to the Cosmopolitan.com offices today to do a few tutorials for the site, I talked her into letting me be a model for one of her custom designs.
- I'm always scouring the internet for new beauty looks that will make for fun tutorials and videos. Cosmopolitan.com editor Amy Odell is showing me some she wants to recreate on the site. As you can see, I'm back to wearing my half-up hairstyle and no-make
- T-minus 15 minutes until bed! My nighttime regimen consists of these six products (if you're wondering what the top left product is, it's Christian Dior Rose Lip Balm).
When we stopped by the Cosmopolitan.com offices earlier this month, beauty editor Carly Cardellino uttered the words all mascara wand-wielding women want to hear: "I have access to all make-up, prestige and mass, and I've learned that a lot of the drugstore products are just as good as the more expensive brand."
Case in point, Carly works in her fair share of Revlon and Maybelline in her week of documented beauty (when she can break from her latest obsession, Drew Barrymore's Flower makeup line). Click through for a week of favorites and new finds with this New York City editor, including the beach spray that gives her straight hair texture and how she manages to prioritize barre over brunch.