Racked is no longer publishing. Thank you to everyone who read our work over the years. The archives will remain available here; for new stories, head over to Vox.com, where our staff is covering consumer culture for The Goods by Vox. You can also see what we’re up to by signing up here.
Welcome to Wellness Sherpa. Like a nimble yak escorting you from base camp to the top of your fitness Everest, Shannon Perry will guide you through the latest workouts and wellness fads. Shannon is no expert, merely an enthusiast. Namaste and you got this.
- Kristen: We created the class around three and a half years ago. We had [laughs] pretty much spent our lives being athletes and being in a team environment. We’re both also very obsessed with music and drumming, but we were having an issue w
- Kristen: [With POUND], Cristina and I wanted to create a place for you to escape where you can really sink in to the music and the beat. But, at the same time, we’re tricking you into a very challenging workout and a very safe and effective workout
- I grab a dark chocolate and sea salt power bar and head to Crunch’s website to check out their video promo for POUND. I quickly note that Converse appear to be the footwear of choice. Check. I also notice that everyone is wearing a much cooler twis
- As the class sets up, I notice that the majority of the participants are in the classic workout uniform: black lycra pants, colorful athletic tanks and running shoes. The instructor, Zuta, walks in. She's barefoot, wearing a cropped tee (score!) and bo
- This class is only 30 minutes long and the Crunch schedule is full, so Zuta wastes no time diving right in. We begin tapping our sticks in unison—the clacking is extremely infectious—and doing a series of squats and lunges to stretch an
- I'm pretty shocked when the cool down begins. I had forgotten this class was only a half hour. I leave feeling extremely confident that I could have rocked out for longer. I also feel compelled to start a chick band—maybe The Shanimals? Hmmm. I
Cost per class: Prices vary based on gym policies. Some classes are free with your gym membership, like at CRUNCH locations.
Sweat Score: 6.5 on a scale of 1 ("dry as ice") to 10 ("sweating buckets"). This score
What to bring with you: A bottle of water and a towel. Drum sticks and mats are provided at the gym.
Definitely try it if: You're in the mood to break a sweat while feeling like a rockstar. You want to trick your cor
With SXSW and Coachella behind us, and EDC, Governor's Ball and Bonnaroo (to name a few) on the horizon, we're in the midst of festival season, folks. With music fests come body-baring seasonal fashion trends such as crop tops, hot pants and slip dresses. I figured that there is no better time to try POUND, aka the "festival workout." Founded by two chick musicians from LA, Cristina Peerenboom and Kirsten Potenza, POUND combines cardio and light resistance moves with constant drumming set to a kick-ass playlist. Since it's a scientific fact that ALL drummers are sexy (staring at you, Nick Andopolis from Freaks & Geeks), it's easy to see why POUND has become a global fitness craze.
· PoundFit [Official Site]
· Simone (Of Body by Simone) Kicked Our Butt and We Loved It [Racked]