Racked is no longer publishing. Thank you to everyone who read our work over the years. The archives will remain available here; for new stories, head over to Vox.com, where our staff is covering consumer culture for The Goods by Vox. You can also see what we’re up to by signing up here.
- Get some of that booze for free. Photo via Shutterstock.
- 1. Score Free Seating...from a Funeral Home: This may sound like some dark urban legend, but one of our editor's frugal aunts was able to snag free chairs simply by calling a generous funeral home and asking if they'd lend them out. Dial several ho
- 5. Serve Your Food On Wheels: If you don't mind a super-casual vibe, call a local food truck and have them cater—i.e. park at—your wedding. You'll probably have to pay a flat rate per attendee, but it'll definitely be cheaper than the u
- 9. Say Yes To The (Discount) Dress: When it comes to a wedding dress, an increasing number of brides-to-be are going the recycling route. There are many sites
- 12. Don't Say the W-Word with Your Beauty Team: If you're not afraid of feeling slightly underhanded, don't mention any wedding talk when getting your hair, makeup, and nails done. This tip really only works if you are going to a salon or blow-dry
- 16. Less Is More: This tip's pretty simple, and very low on the shame factor. Pick a lush, perhaps outdoorsy venue that doesn't require too many added decorations. Let the venue speak for itself—while also saving on flowers, streamers or what
Planning a wedding can feel like opening up your checkbook and saying, "and you get a thousand dollars, and you get thousand dollars, and you get a thousand dollars." It ain't cheap. In the interest of helping you save wherever possible, enjoy this list of wedding hacks, ranging from the totally legitimate to the downright devious to the potentially shameful. Because we're not all Sean Parker or Kim Kardashian.