Racked is no longer publishing. Thank you to everyone who read our work over the years. The archives will remain available here; for new stories, head over to Vox.com, where our staff is covering consumer culture for The Goods by Vox. You can also see what we’re up to by signing up here.
Here now, the very Best In Beauty: Cosmetics, skin care, nail polish, and more tiny miracles personally vetted and loved by our editors.
First up in our brand new beauty series is the topic of summer-approved skin coverage. We're talking about the lightweight foundations, tinted moisturizers, BB creams, and other SPF-laden wonder products that help you put your best face forward without being bogged down by heavy layers of makeup. After the jump, our editors share their personal favorites, including powders, compacts, liquids, and even a fancy Dior spray.
· Benefit Cosmetics 'Hello Flawless!' Oxygen Wow Liquid Foundation ($36): "Lightweight enough for a humid Miami day, but enough coverage for a hot Miami night. When coupled with Benefit's Stay Flawless 15 Hour Primer, it will literally stay on for 15 hours straight. I kid you not." -Ashley Brozic, Racked Miami Editor
· Buxom Show Some Skin Weightless Foundation ($34): "The consistency of this Buxom foundation is so good: it's super lightweight but still offers a substantial amount of coverage."—Tiffany Yannetta, Racked New York Editor
· Smashbox Liquid Halo HD Foundation ($42): "So sheer, you're almost like 'What's the point?' as you first put it on. But that is the point: light, redness-reducing coverage that looks like your own skin, freckles and all."—Adele Chapin, Racked DC Editor
· Jouer Matte Moisture Tint ($38): "This oil-free tinted moisturizer's lightweight, air-whipped formula glides onto skin like a dream. I love that it provides sheer coverage without any shine. I've been using it for years."—Natalie Alcala, Racked LA Editor
· Laura Mercier Tinted Moisturizer Broad Spectrum Sunscreen ($43): "I'm half Italian and there is basically olive oil in my pores—this is one of the few products that doesn't feel crazy greasy to me. A tiny bit goes a long way, it blends seamlessly, and really gives me that ideal 'no makeup makeup' look."—Nicola Fumo, Racked Market Editor
· Shiseido UV Protective Liquid Foundation ($36): "Lightweight, non-oily, amazing-smelling foundation that also happens to be SPF 42 for people like me who burn at the slightest sun exposure."—Chavie Lieber, Racked National Features Writer
· Dior Airflash Spray Foundation ($62): "I was hesitant to try spray foundation, but the day I started using this one was the day people started complimenting me on my (usually troubled) skin. It's extremely light and fun to apply."—Eileen Sutton, Racked Social Media Editor
· Estée Lauder DayWear BB Anti-Oxidant Beauty Benefit Creme SPF 35 ($39): "Blends well to even out skin tone, but still lets freckles peek through, so it looks natural."—Laura Gurfein, Racked New York Associate Editor
· Dr. Jart+ Water Fuse Beauty Balm SPF 25 PA++ ($34): "A moisturizer, SPF and coverage all in one."—Susan Stapleton, Racked Vegas Editor
· bareMinerals SPF 30 Natural Sunscreen ($36): "I can't stand anything gooey on my skin when it's hot, and this powder has become my favorite for mitigating shine. It's easy to apply on the go, gives a little glow, and protects from the sun."—Kristen Philipkoski, Racked San Francisco Editor
· Estee Lauder Invisible Fluid Makeup ($36): "The packaging is about as sexy as a nude pair of pantyhose, but I love the sheer, buildable coverage. And a little goes a long way, so one bottle will last you for months."—Izzy Grinspan, Racked Editorial Director
· Kjaer Weis Cream Foundation ($68): "Certified-organic and remarkable anti-slip, even under the most humid conditions. Offers incredibly even coverage. And I love how the cool case flips open to reveal a little mirror for application."—Leslie Price, Racked National Editor
· Laneige BB Cushion ($34): "This gives my skin an even, brightened tone, and it's available at Target. The real kryptonite here is the SPF 50."—Jenny Berg, Racked Chicago Editor
· theBalm timeBalm® Concealer ($18): "Been using this same concealer since middle school acne days. Covers up everything but it feels light and like my skin can breathe, even in the summer."—Jackie Goldstein, Director of Operations