Racked is no longer publishing. Thank you to everyone who read our work over the years. The archives will remain available here; for new stories, head over to Vox.com, where our staff is covering consumer culture for The Goods by Vox. You can also see what we’re up to by signing up here.
Buying beauty products is a special kind of endeavor. Like testing out a potential long-term friendship, it involves weighing the pros and cons of each product (will this really make my lashes 300% fuller?) before taking the plunge and making a purchase. But what happens when, after a week of use, your lashes do not in fact look 300% fuller? Instead of dooming failed beauty purchases to that product graveyard known as the basket under the sink, consider returning them to the store for a full refund, even in their used condition. Here, we've rounded up the return policies for 13 of the most common places to buy beauty products. Click through to compare and see where there's money to be reclaimed.
· Barneys: Full refund within 30 days if item is in its original condition.
· Bath & Body Works: Full refund in original method of payment if returned with receipt. Returns without receipts will be refunded at the lowest selling price of the item.
· Bloomingdale's: Full refund anytime after purchase (doesn't specify if the returned products can be new or used). Must have receipt in order to be refunded in the original method of payment.
· The Body Shop: Full refund in original method of payment if returned with receipt. Refunds without receipts will be granted store credit at the lowest selling price of the item within the last 30 days.
· Duane Reade/Walgreens: Returns handled at the discretion of the store manager. Refunds usually granted in the form of a store gift card.
· CVS: Full refund on opened or unopened packages with receipt.
· Kiehls: Full refund if returned with receipt or invoice.
· Macy's Full refund anytime after purchase on new or gently used products. Must have receipt in order to be refunded in the original method of payment.
· Saks: Full refund on returns made within 30 days with the original receipt. Returns made after 30 days will be credited at current selling price.
· Sephora: Full refund in the original method of payment within 60 days if returned by mail. Full refund in store anytime with receipt and card used to make the purchase.
· Space.NK: Full refund in the original method of payment within 21 days. Item must be unopened, unused, and in its original condition.
· Ulta: Full refund in the original method of payment within 60 days if returned by mail. Gift card will be issued if the return is made after 60 days. Full refund in store at any time.
· Walmart: Full refund within 90 days. Item must be returned in its original packaging.
· Six Tips To Know Before Using Waterproof Makeup This Summer [Racked]
· The Best Lightweight Foundations to Glow Through Summer [Racked]
· Clicks, Likes, Cash: How YouTube Beauty Stars Threw the Industry for a Loop [Racked]