Racked is no longer publishing. Thank you to everyone who read our work over the years. The archives will remain available here; for new stories, head over to Vox.com, where our staff is covering consumer culture for The Goods by Vox. You can also see what we’re up to by signing up here.
Here now, the very Best In Beauty: Cosmetics, skin care, nail polish, and more tiny miracles personally vetted and loved by our editors.
Photo by Driely S. for Racked NY.
Summer lipstick is a different planet from winter lipstick. For one, there's the matter of the elements: It's hot, possibly humid, and the sun is blazin'. On top of that, no one wants to look too "done" in the summer: A winter-perfect matte red just looks so fussy this time of year.
To the rescue are seven of our editors' favorite lip products for the warmer months, imparting just the right dose of long-lasting color paired with hydration in lightweight formulas. From drugstore lip balms to a dual cheek and lip shine, find your new favorite below.
· Albiet Nourishing Rose Lip Balm ($12): "This rose-scented product feels goop-y in the pot, but it's smooth on the lips and gives them a beautiful, glossy sheen. And once it's on, it stays put."—Jenny Berg, Racked Chicago Editor
· Sara Happ The Lip Slip ($24): "I feel like Goldilocks when it comes to finding the perfect lip balm: Most don't last long or they're too goop-y. The Lip Slip is just right, with loads of hydration thanks to sweet almond, jojoba, and macadamia nut oils. I use a lip brush to apply, so it feels more like a lipstick than a lip balm. Living in Vegas I have experimented with a lot of lip balms, and this is the best. This little jar has lasted me more than a year, and I use it all the time. "—Susan Stapleton, Racked Vegas Editor
· L'Oreal Paris Paris Colour Riche Glossy Balm ($8): "After so much matte in the last few years, it's kind of a treat to wear a gloss. This one isn't early-aughts-Britney-glossy, just enough sheer luminosity delivered from a foolproof crayon tip."—Nicola Fumo, Racked Market Editor**
· Julie Hewett Cheekie Cheek and Lip Shine ($24): "I don't like to look like I'm wearing a lot of makeup in the summer, and these lip shines are a perfect compromise if I need to be a little more put together. The color is subtle so it's a "you but better thing" and it's so lightweight that you can't even really feel it when it on. It also doubles as a cheek stain."—Tiffany Yannetta, Racked Managing Editor
· Origins Drink Up Hydrating Lip Balm ($17): "I was gifted a set of these glossy tubes right when summer began, and they've become my unexpected go-to for just a hint of color. Don't be scared of the brighter pigments—they go on sheer and not too shiny, making them great to layer on throughout the day."—Laura Gurfein, Racked New York Associate Editor
· Lip Smacker Strawberry Lip Balm ($2.50): "Like any true lipstick addict, I believe in the power of a good lip balm primer. Not only does Strawberry Lip Smacker remind me of camp (summer!), it provides just the right amount of moisture (not too much!) during the most humid months."—Julia Rubin, Features Editor
· Bite Beauty Luminous Crème Lipstick ($24): "This is my go-to for occasions when 'real' lipstick is required. It's hydrating, buildable, and stays put—perfect any time of the year, but especially ideal during the sweltering dead of summer."—Nicola Fumo, Racked Market Editor**
· Lipstick Queen Saint ($22): "This sheer lipstick from the cult brand is easy to wear, easy to apply, and its matte gold tube is disco glam."—Adele Chapin, Racked DC Editor