Racked is no longer publishing. Thank you to everyone who read our work over the years. The archives will remain available here; for new stories, head over to Vox.com, where our staff is covering consumer culture for The Goods by Vox. You can also see what we’re up to by signing up here.
Here now, the very Best In Beauty: Cosmetics, skin care, nail polish, and more tiny miracles personally vetted and loved by our editors.
Jessica Alba for GQ UK
"Trying to smile, but the air is so heavy and dry," sang Bananarama in their 1983 hit "Cruel Summer"—and how is a girl supposed to smile with mascara melting down her face? Beat summer at its cruel, makeup thwarting game with the very best in long wear eye makeup, from waterproof mascaras to liquid liners that don't budge and even eyeshadows with staying power. Our very favorites—road tested, beach tested, city tested—in all three categories are after the jump.
· Clinique High Impact Waterproof Mascara ($20): "This mascara works like witchcraft. Grueling spin classes or laughing at silly puppy videos, it doesn't budge from my lashes but doesn't feel clumpy either. However, I sometimes use other wands with it."—Chavie Lieber, Racked National Features Writer
· Maybelline Maybelline Great Lash Waterproof Mascara ($5): "I've been using the same waterproof mascara for about 15 years. It gives a less dramatic look than some, but I like a lighter eye for summer. It doesn't clump, and it really does stay on until you take it off, even in the pool."—Kristen Philipkoski, Racked San Francisco Editor
· Benefit They're Real Mascara ($23): "By now, we all know the life-changing miracle this little tube and wand duo is. You can also add sweat-proof to its list of powers—I trust it to stay put through waiting for the train on New York City's sweltering subway platforms."—Laura Gurfein, Racked New York Associate Editor [*Multiple editor nominations]
· Yves Saint Laurent Babydoll Mascara ($30): "I like a thin brush that really gives definition and length (past faves include the aforementioned Maybelline and Benefit mascaras). I just started using this YSL mascara (after asking a girl with incredible lashes what she uses) and I actually look like I'm wearing false lashes, it's that good. Plus it holds up, even on a recent trip to the beach."—Nicola Fumo, Racked Market Editor
· Kevyn Aucoin Beauty The Mascara Volume ($28): "I call this boyfriend mascara because you can wear it overnight and it stays in place. Hot water and a cotton pad are needed to remove it. But if it can last during an overnight romp and stay perfect, it can stay in place during the summer heat."—Susan Stapleton, Racked Vegas Editor
· Smashbox Limitless Liquid Liner Pen ($22): "Even when I'm riding and showing horses in the dead heat of summer, I can trust this liner to stay on my eyelids and not down my face. It's also extremely easy to apply for a liquid liner."—Esther Hahn, Racked San Francisco Associate Editor
· Stila Stay All Day Waterproof Liquid Eye Liner ($20): "I've been rocking a cat-eye since high school, so it's safe to say that I've tried just about every eyeliner under the sun. This easy-to-use wonder pen not only produces the perfect flick, it also stays put during summer's most sizzling days."—Natalie Alcala, Racked LA Editor [*Multiple editor nominations]
· Bobbi Brown Long-Wear Gel Eyeliner: "You can't go wrong with this baby. Glides on smooth and stays for hours (even overnight!). Just be warned: apply carefully because once it's on, it's on." —Chavie Lieber, Racked National Features Writer
· NARS Dual-Eyeshadow Intensity ($29): "This eyeshadow can be applied wet or dry. Used dry, it goes on so light and shimmery it's like Tinkerbelle was your makeup artist. It'd be nearly impossible to crease."—Jenny Berg, Chicago Editor
· Lorac Pro Palette: "These shadows really don't crease, but as a just-in-case back-up, the kit comes with a mini primer, which is great for hot days when your more likely to have sweat streaming into your eyes." —Tiffany Yannetta, Racked New York Editor
· By Terry Aqua Print Eyeshadow ($38): "As an eyeshadow novice, I really appreciate that these chunky sticks layer on sheer enough to avoid screwing up. I like to build up the lighter shades at my inner eye for a good dose of pop that doesn't move."—Nicola Fumo, Racked Market Editor