Racked is no longer publishing. Thank you to everyone who read our work over the years. The archives will remain available here; for new stories, head over to Vox.com, where our staff is covering consumer culture for The Goods by Vox. You can also see what we’re up to by signing up here.
Here now, the very Best In Beauty: Cosmetics, skin care, nail polish, and more tiny miracles personally vetted and loved by experts, insiders, and our editors.
In honor of Fitness Month, we're tackling the beauty essentials to stash in your gym bag. With the right multi-tasking products, your post-sweat sesh can be a quick, painless road to cleanliness (it is next to godliness, after all). Below, find favorites for getting fresh and pretty on the go from Tracy Anderson, a SoulCycle instructor, our own editors, and a few more workout-obsessed friends.
· Ole Henriksen The Clean Truth Cleansing Cloths, $15 for 30: Soulcycle and Physique 57 instructor Emily Turner tells us these wipes "are a lifesaver—keep them in your bag for in between workouts so you never have to worry about not feeling fresh and keeping your skin beautiful and blemish free."
· You Smell Lemon Wet Wipes, $5 for 12: Individually wrapped and brightly citrus-scented without smelling like cleaning product, these strong cloths are great for a quick clean-up suitable for the whole body.
· Red Flower Italian Blood Orange Refreshing Hand and Face Towelettes, $5: More than one of our editors professed their love for these single-serve towelettes, which not only get you sweat-free quickly, but also "combat muscle fatigue and stiffness and stimulate the lymphatic system, helping clear the body of toxins," according to the brand.
· Le Mieux Phyto-Nutrient Cleansing Gel, (626) 962-1234 to order: Fitness superstars, they're just like us: Tracy Anderson told us that after a workout, "I have to wash my face, period." She likes this foaming wash from Le Mieux and says, "You need a gel, and not a cream-based product, when your pores are open because you need something that will really clean them out."
· Lancer The Method-Polish Exfoliator, $75: Tracy's other pick is this acne-fighting exfoliator. "When you sweat a lot and you sweat regularly, even if you don't break out a lot, you should be doing something that's preventative."
· Neutrogena Deep Clean Gentle Scrub, $6: "I'm hooked on the microbeads in this face scrub. It feels amazingly fresh," says trainer Emily Cook Harris, winner of 2013's Hottest Trainer Competition in New York City.
· Kiehl's Ultra Facial Cleanser, $10: An essential part of instuctor Emily's post-class kit.
· L'Occitane en Provence Immortelle Milk Makeup Remover, $28: "Strong enough to take off mascara, but gentle enough for my entire face," says Racked's own Managing Editor Tiffany Yannetta (check out nine more of our favorite summer face washes here).
· Evian Mineral Water Spray, $14 for two: No stranger to extreme heat, Racked Vegas editor Susan Stapleton loves this spray for removing perspiration, refreshing skin, and setting makeup. "Plus, it's small enough to fit in your handbag." Sold.
· Tresemme Fresh Start Dry Shampoo, $6: Unlike most powder or aerosol dry shampoos, this is a foam that is effective for cleaning dirty hair and smells good.
· Benefit Cosmetics Hello Flawless Liquid Foundation, $36: A tried-and-true favorite among our editors, this oil-free foundation goes on light and can build to medium coverage—perfect to even out skin post-workout without feeling heavy.
· Rosebud Perfume Co. Strawberry Lip Balm, $7: Trainer Emily Turner's favorite for a little post-class color.
· Julie Hewett Cheekie Cheek and Lip Shine, $12: A dual-use palette Racked's Tiffany Yannetta assures is subtle, "so it's a 'you but better.'"
· Benefit Cosmetics They're Real Mascara, $23: We have yet to find a mascara that more girls adore than this Benefit staple. "You can also add sweat-proof to its list of powers," assures Racked New York Associate Editor Laura Gurfein.
· Stila Stay All Day Waterproof Liquid Eye Liner, $20: Another crowd favorite, this simple to apply eyeliner goes on quickly thanks to a pen-like applicator, so you can make up and run out.
· By Terry Aqua Print Eyeshadow, $38: Eyeshadow in crayon form for the ultimate in transportable lid color.
· Lavanila The Healthy Deodorant, $8: After much trial, error, and cash, Racked National Editor Leslie Price assures this is the winner in the world of natural deodorants. "It's got a smooth consistency, it's easy to apply and it won't leave you smelling like an old gym sock forgotten in a hot locker."
· Diptyque Eau Rose Roll-On, $48: Forget fragrance bottle spillage by packing a roll-on. Racked Los Angeles Editor Natalie Alcala likes Diptyque's rose scent, saying, "This perfect summer roll-on offers a gentle whiff of fresh roses, and is lightweight enough to wear both day and night."
· Mane Intentions Odor Neutralizing Hair Fragrance, $24: "This strange-but-true product is great for a post-wokout hair spritz," says former Racked Chicago Editor Jenny Berg. Bergamot Grapefruit and Blackberry Vanilla are among the unique scents on offer.
· All Best In Beauty posts [Racked]
· All Fitness Month 2014 posts [Racked]
· 13 Retailers That'll Take Back Unwanted Beauty Products [Racked]